German citizensEnrolment in a Higher Semester

Note on the application for summer semester 2024

The application portal is currently being redesigned. Some information on the application process may differ.

Bachelor, State examination and Magister Theologiae

For all degree programs or subjects with admission restrictions and without admission restrictions in the higher semesters, an application must be submitted in due time before enrolment. After receiving a letter of admission, you can enrol at Heidelberg University within the set enrollment deadlines.

Please find out in advance whether your desired subject is admission-restricted beyond the first semester at Heidelberg University. 

Finding your subjects


Registration for admission-restricted and open-admission degree programmes

Enrolment in the higher semester of undergraduate degree programs is done online via the heiCO portal and in writing.
After successful admission, you will be requested in your heiCO account to accept the study place within a deadline displayed there in order to be able to continue with online enrolment. If the study place is not accepted within the deadline, the entitlement to the study place expires.
The enrolment will then take place online. The application for enrolment (signed printout of the online enrollment) and the required documents must be submitted to the Student Administration Office within the set enrolment deadline.

Please follow these steps to complete the enrolment process:

  • Make sure that you have all of your documents, e.g. your health insurance number at hand.
  • Enrol online.
  • Please print out your enrolment application and send it - signed by your own hand - together with all the documents required for you (see below) to:

    Heidelberg University
    Student Administration
    Seminarstr. 2
    69117 Heidelberg
  • In addition, please upload the signed enrolment application to your heiCO account.

Please have the following documents ready to upload as a PDF file for your enrolment:

  • University entrance qualification (e.g. German ‘Abitur’) 
    If your diploma was issued under a name you no longer hold, please also submit a respective official certificate detailing your name change.
    If you acquired your university entrance qualification abroad, please submit the diploma and the certificate detailing equivalence with a German university entrance qualification as well as the determined average grade (available from the Regional Council Stuttgart) - all documents must be officially certified copies.
  • 1 passport photo
  • Identity card/passport
  • Proof of health insurance 
    In addition, please have your health insurance data ready and enter your data in heiCO during enrolment.
    Basically, the transmission of your insurance status takes place electronically. After entering your data in heiCO, you must always - even if you are privately insured - contact a statutory, German health insurance company and apply for the “Meldungsgrund M10 für die Universität Heidelberg” under the university number H0003588.  This process takes up to 5 working days. Enrolment will not take place until the electronic transmission of the statutory health insurance has taken place.
    In return, the university notifies the health insurance companies of the beginning and - later - the end of your studies.
  • Letter of admission from the university
  • For sports: proof of having passed the sports entrance examination
  • In the case of a change from or after the 3rd subject semester, proof of the subject-related student advisory service
  • Possibly further documents and certificates mentioned in the admission notice

If you have previously enrolled at another German higher education institution, you must also submit your application online:

  • Detailed certificate of exmatriculation from the most-recently attended university.
    Detailed exmatriculation certificate means that the enrolment period (start/end of your studies) as well as the degree programme (subject/subject semester/graduation, possibly changes) are proven - should one or more of these details not be included on the exmatriculation certificate, you can provide these in addition to the exmatriculation certificate by means of other corresponding proof from the higher education institution, e.g. course of studies certificate/enrolment certificate, etc.
  • All examination certificates related to previous enrolments
  • Proof of leaves of absence or semesters abroad.
    If there has been a leave of absence, please submit documentation from the university confirming the semester in which the leave of absence was taken (academic records/certificate of enrolment, etc.). If there has been a semester spent abroad (semester in which you were only enrolled in a foreign university), please submit documentation confirming the duration (beginning and end) of your study abroad programme.
  • Proof of the successfully completed intermediate examination or of deadline extension for the respective semester in the case of enrolment in 7th academic semester or higher - in all subjects.
  • Proof of the completed the orientation examination. Enrolment in the 4th academic semester and higher academic semesters where students have not completed the intermediate examination requires submission of the successfully completed orientation examination or proof of deadline extension for the respective semester.  Please contact the orientation examination officer or the subject’s academic advisor(s) for more information.

After entering your data in heico, please also submit the following documents by post:

  • Application for enrolment with original signature
  • All certificates (e.g. school leaving certificate, university degree,...) in officially certified form and, if applicable, with an officially certified translation.

Please send them to the following address:

University of Heidelberg
Student Administration
Seminarstr. 2
69117 Heidelberg

Please note that the documents to be submitted by post for your enrolment must be received by Heidelberg University within the specified enrolment deadline.

Picking up your student ID card

After your enrolment has been processed, you will receive an e-mail informing you that you can pick up your student ID card at the earliest five working days after receipt and activation of the Uni-ID exclusively in person and upon presentation of an official photo ID (e.g. ID card or passport) at the University Administration.

Enrolment or change of degree programme?

Please note: If you are already enrolled at Heidelberg University, you are not required to re-enrol. In this case, it is sufficient to just change the degree programme.