In November 2010, Heidelberg University was certified as a “family-friendly“ university for the first time. In 2020, the re-auditing process took place, in which the current objectives and measures were evaluated by berufundfamilie gGmbH. Heidelberg University was subsequently re-certified for the fourth time.
The certificate is awarded by berufundfamilie gGmbH, an initiative of the non-profit Hertie Foundation, to universities and colleges that pursue a family-friendly personnel policy and create a work environment for employees, researchers and students that guarantees a balance between work/study and family life.
The basis of Heidelberg University's success is a program that encompasses a range of offers and measures, including the organisation of working hours, extended childcare, a dual-career service, and opportunities for part-time study.
Fields of Actions
- Work, research and study time
- Work, research and study organisation
- Work, research and study location
- Information and communication
- Leadership competence
- Personnel development and academic qualification
- Payment components, nonmonetary perquisites, and funding for students
- Services for families
"Academia & Family"
This Service supports recent mothers in negotiating with the head of their department, hospital or research group to work out constructive conditions for the continuation of their academic careers in the following years.
Dual Career Service
The Dual Career Service provides extensive information and counseling to support the partners and families of newly-hired professors and postdoctoral researchers at Heidelberg University.
Family Apartments in Student Residences
Housing offers of the Studierendenwerk and other agencies for student families and single parents.
"Work Life Balance" (DE)
Survey of university researchers by the Chair of Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
Arbeitskreis "Vereinbarkeit Beruf und Familie" (DE)
Initiative of representatives from business, science and politics in the Rhine-Neckar metropolitan region.
Ideas & Suggestions
We welcome ideas for both big and small changes to promote family-friendly work and academic conditions. What do you think are the ideal conditions for study/work and life balance at the university? Whether it’s child education, caring for family members or living as a couple – what services would help you, what services could the university add to existing ones?
Give your ideas free reign and don’t worry about how to make them a reality – we want to know them all. Please send your suggestions via e-mail to the Equal Opportunities Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
POSSIBLE SUBJECT AREAS
- Part-time study, work from home, or cutting work hours
- Balancing family and career while working full-time
- Contact with the university during parental leave or while family members are in care
- Organising the work day around children or family members needing care
- Supporting children or the elderly while at work
- Support options for family emergencies
- Regular support services
- Equipment in cafeteria, library, and university facilities