Germany ScholarshipHow can I apply?
The Germany Scholarship is awarded once a year to talented and committed students at the start of each winter semester. Learn more about the formalities and deadlines when applying for the Germany Scholarship, on this page.
Important announcements and dates
Who can apply?
You can apply for the Germany Scholarship if you belong to one of the following categories:
- New students who have applied for a study place at Heidelberg University for the 2020 | 2021 winter semester or those who are already enrolled
- Advanced-semester or master’s students who have applied to or are enrolled at Heidelberg University for the 2020 | 2021 winter semester
- Students enrolled at Heidelberg University (except for short-term students, doctoral students, students in the preliminary induction German course or the preparatory course (Studienkolleg)).
Anyone receiving aptitude or performance-based financial support of 30 euros or more per month on average cannot receive a Germany Scholarship, even if approved. You can still apply for a Germany Scholarship if you are receiving other support in the amount specified above, but if approved, you must choose one or the other and might have to take a leave of absence from the Germany Scholarship for the corresponding period. Since BAföG is income-related, it is not considered as another support.
Note: New and continuing medical informatics students apply at Heilbronn University for the Germany Scholarship.
HOW TO APPLY?
Applications must be submitted in electronic and written form. You can apply online from July 15 to August 31 via a link on this website. Your application is for the funding period winter semester 2020 | 2021 – summer semester 2021. Please note that all your information in the online application has to be as of the beginning of the 2020 | 2021 winter semester (e.g. number of subject-related semesters or university semesters, performance records). Please make sure to submit your online application until August 31, 2020. To complete the application, a signed print-out of the online application and the following documents must be received by the university no later than August 31, 2020. A certified translation into German or English is required for any application documents not written in German or English.
Please note the following steps:
- Registration for the online application portal from July 15, 2020.
- Complete online application and send by August 31, 2020.
- Print out and sign the online application form and send it along with necessary records and certificates to Heidelberg University | University Administration | Division 8 | Department 8.2 | Seminarstr. 2 | 69117 Heidelberg by August 31, 2020 (the receipt stamp date applies).
THESE DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED
Please make sure to hand in the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae in table form
- For new students and undergraduate students in their second subject-related semester, the record of their university entrance qualification; foreign certificates require a copy of the original certificate (with final grade), an official translation in German or English and if available a conversion to the German grading system, one copy each, (if you don't have a conversion to the German grading system, please submit only your diploma incl. an official translation. Our colleagues of the international office will transfer your grades.)
- If available, a copy of the first university diploma (must include the final grade), or if this is not yet available, a copy of a temporary certificate of the final grade. Diplomas of foreign universities require a copy of the original certificate (with final grade), an official translation in German or English and if available a conversion to the German grading system, one copy each, (if you don't have a conversion to the German grading system, please submit only your diploma incl. an official translation. Our colleagues of the international office will transfer your grades.)
- One copy each of verification of specially recognised activities per § 6 (2) voluntary engagement, completed voluntary internships, completed professional training, study-accompanying employment, prizes, awards, or other special family or personal circumstances to be taken into consideration in the selection process according to § 6 (2)
- A current enrolment certificate (2020 | 2021 winter semester) or a copy of the notification of admission (2020 | 2021 winter semester)
- For students in their third subject-related semester (2020 | 2021 winter semester) or higher, provide proof of your current performance, current date: Usually the overall grade average is provided by submitting performance records (e.g. transcript of records, overview of grades). The following degree programmes are excepted:
- Human medicine
Students of human medicine in the pre-clinical stage submit evidence in the form of a qualified overall certificate including percentile ranks (Heidelberg faculty) or semester ranking (Mannheim faculty).
In the clinical stage, verification is submitted in the form of a copy of the certificate of Part One of the National Medical Licensing Exam (including results) and an overall certificate of clinical accomplishments.
Dentistry students in the pre-clinical stage submit verification in the form of a qualified overall certificate including percentile rankings and, as of the 5th semester, performance records for the Technical Propaedeutics Course and Phantom Course I of Dental Prosthetics.
In the clinical stage, verification is submitted in the form of a copy of the certificate of the preliminary exam in dentistry (including preliminary examination in the natural sciences) and certificates of clinical accomplishments.
Law students submit verification by specifying their average number of points.
- Human medicine
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION – GOOD TO KNOW
The written online application documents must be received by Heidelberg University between July 15 and August 31, 2020 (date received stamp applies). If the enrolment certificate, notification of admission, first university diploma, certificate of Part One of the National Medical Licensing Exam or the performance records for the Technical Propaedeutics Course or Phantom Course I of Dental Prosthetics, or activities from the summer semester completed by August 31, 2020 are not available by the end of the application period, copies must be submitted no later than October 15, 2020.
Scholarship awards 2019
Get some impressions from the latest scholarship ceremony.
Becoming a supporter
You are a company, a foundation or an individual and are interested in the scholarship program? Then you will find all the information you need, here.