Students are said to be applying for a “transfer” if they have already been studying a different degree programme which is considered relevant and equivalent to the new degree programme which they wish to take up, and for which the responsible examination office has accordingly issued a certificate of transferable credits. Students are also considered to be transferring when they have been studying the same subject at a university outside the EU.

Students are also said to be transferring when they are provisionally admitted to a degree programme e.g. admitted via a court order. In addition, “transfer” is used to describe the admission of students who are admitted for a specific part of a course without this guaranteeing admission to the entire degree programme e.g. admission to the pre-clinical part of the human medicine degree programme only. In this case, please submit either a copy of the decision of the Foundation for University Admission (hochschulstart.de) or a certificate of enrolment with the corresponding note.
A timely application for all subjects is required.
In order to apply for a transfer to an advanced academic semester, students must have written confirmation that any credits previously gained will be recognised. Students may submit a request for the transfer of credits at the examination office responsible for the relevant subject (central state examination office or examination office of Heidelberg University) if they have previously gained credits in the same subject at a university outside the EU, or if they have gained credits in another, related subject at a German university or at a university elsewhere.