German and international nationalsDocuments for application to a higher semester of study

For the online application via heiCO for a higher semester in an undergraduate degree program (university transfer students and career changers), the following documents must be attached as an upload:

  • the certificate of general or subject-linked higher education entrance qualification
    • German citizens who have a foreign certificate of prior education and wish to begin their studies at a university in Baden-Württemberg must contact the Stuttgart Regional Council (Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart) of the state of Baden-Württemberg for the purpose of having their foreign certificate of prior education recognized and determining equivalence to the German general or subject-specific university entrance qualification.
    • Non-German nationals with foreign certificates:

      • Certificate of higher education entrance qualification entitling the holder to study at a university in the respective country of origin (e.g. Abitur, Baccalauréat, GCE - A&O Levels, School Leaving Certificate, etc.) including the corresponding lists of individual grades. In addition, a translation by a sworn translator into German or English is required (except for German and English language documents).

      • If applicable: all college and university transcripts (colleges, academies, etc.) acquired, including the associated lists of individual grades per semester or year of study. In addition, a translation by a sworn translator into German or English is required (except for German and English language documents).

      • If applicable: all academic achievements (Transcript of Records) per semester or academic year, if the degree program has not yet been completed. In addition, a translation by a sworn translator into German or English is required (except for documents in German and English).

      • For applicants with foreign certificates from Vietnam, China and India: APS certificate from the relevant academic testing center
        (must be submitted at the latest for enrollment)

    • If applicable, proof of a change of name

  • in the case of a transfer from a German university: a certificate of study progress (with details of the course of study, subject semester, university semester and, if applicable, semester of leave)

  • in case of a transfer from a foreign university: a certificate of enrollment indicating the course of study/subject of study or a certificate of exmatriculation

  • for medicine / dentistry - only for the pre-clinical study section: copy of the admission letter

  • in case of a change of university from a German university: certificates of achievement (Credits/ Certificates/ Transcript of Records / Score)

  • for lateral entry, change of university from abroad, part-time studies and change of subject, e.g. minor subject to major subject: study time credit certificate
    Credit transfer can be requested from the respective subject at Heidelberg University. For the subjects medicine, pharmacy and dentistry as well as for psychology and law, special offices are responsible for credit transfer. The contact details can be found on the homepage: "Recognition of credits gained outside Germany".

  • For sports: copy of the sports entrance examination (only examinations or exemption certificates issued or recognized by the Institute of Sport and Sport Science will be accepted). For more information, please visit the pages of the Institute of Sport and Sport Science.

  • If applying to the fifth or higher semester of pharmacy, proof of passing the first state examination is required.

Deadlines in the application process must be followed.
Certificates of achievement and credits can be submitted by August 15th for the winter semester or February 15th for the summer semester.
The certificate of the First Section of the Medical Examination for the first clinical semester can be submitted later until September 25th (winter semester 2023/24: until September 30th).

Please note the so-called academic year regulations in the subjects of law, medicine, pharmacy, psychology and dentistry. For the winter semester, application is only possible for odd semesters. For the summer semester, only even semesters are possible.
Heidelberg University offers two study locations for the subject of medicine: Heidelberg and Mannheim. Applicants for medicine (Mannheim faculty) complete their entire studies in Mannheim. You can apply for both faculties.

Students who have changed their university location can submit an application for preferential consideration of their desired place of study with their online application. For more information on the reasons and evidence, please refer to our information sheet.