German citizensEnrolment in a doctoral programme

As a German citizen, you can enrol in a doctoral programme year-round without submitting a prior application.

Representation through a proxy is not permitted. Acceptance to a doctoral programme is contingent on candidates having previously completed a university degree programme and being accepted as doctoral candidates.


  • Please make sure you have the following documents (see below) at the ready, e.g., current proof of health insurance, your Abitur certificate, certificate(s) of exmatriculation, degree certificate.
  • Enrol online. Once you have logged in, you will be able to enter your information in each of the required fields. These items do not need to be completed in the order in which they appear.
  • Once you have provided all of the information required, a link will appear to allow you to print a copy of your enrolment application.
  • Please print out your enrolment application, sign it, include all required documents (see below) and send it to:

Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
Seminarstr. 2
69117 Heidelberg


  • University entrance qualification (e.g. German ‘Abitur’) – the officially certified copy from a German public authority. Copies are considered officially certified if they were certified and issued by an official entity (e.g., a public school, does not include private schools!), a municipal, district or city administration, or have been certified by a notary. Certified copies from other entities cannot be accepted! If your diploma was issued under a name you no longer hold, please also submit a respective official certificate detailing your name change.
  • Copy of your identity card/passport
  • The form “Acceptance as a doctoral candidate” signed by the dean’s office (the forms are available in the dean’s office or in the download centre).
  • An officially certified copy of your degree certificate. Students who have not yet received their final degree certificate by the time of enrolment may submit a preliminary certificate from the examinations office at their institution. This certificate must state that the degree programme has been completed in its entirety. The final transcript of records must be submitted during the first semester of enrolment!
  • Comprehensive certificate(s) of exmatriculation stating the degree programme and duration of study.
  • Passport photo