Welcome Centre for International Scholars
Tel. +49 6221 54-12721 / -12725 Fax  +49 6221 54-12790

Homepage Welcome Centre

Online Portal

The "Mentorship programme" aims at establishing contacts between international researchers and citizens or alumni of Heidelberg University.

Mentorship programme for international scholars

Service for Host Institutes

Information for host institutes, that look after and advice international scholars. [More ...] (Ger)

About the University
Other services at University
Related Information

Researching and Working in Heidelberg

On the sites Researching and Working in Heidelberg of the Welcome Centre for international scholars we provide you with the necessary information around all topics relevant for preparing your stay in Heidelberg, everyday life here until preparing your leave – visa issues, the search for an apartment, essential visits to authorities up to the finding of an appropriate school for your children. Furthermore, we regularly organize events and excursions for visiting researchers and their families, provide an online portal and a mentoring programme.


Scholars after PhD are welcome to register online at the Welcome Centre so that we can make our services available to you and include you and your family in our social events! Online registration


If you are an international student, please contact the office for international matriculated students. Applicants for a university place address themselves to the admission office for international applicants. Foreign PhD students can contact the Graduate Academy.

Office for international matriculated students

Admission office for international applicants

Graduate Academy


Preparing your Stay

Funding Opportunities

Visas and Entrance Formalities

Accommodation in Heidelberg

Language Skills and Language Courses


IDs and Accounts

Visiting Scholar Card

Any visiting scholar who is teaching or doing research here without an employment contract with the University can apply for the Visiting Scholar Card. The card confirms the holder’s membership at the University and can be used to apply for a University library card, a CampusCard or a pass for the University sports centre. [More...]



International scholars with a valid Visiting Scholar Card can obtain a CampusCard. The CampusCard is a rechargeable chip card for cashless payment which allows to eat and drink at any of the cafeterias (Mensen) and cafés run by the Studierendenwerk Heidelberg (student services organisation) at staff prices. It is also used at copy machines, the University Computer Centre (URZ), the University Library, the University sports office and the Language Centre (ZSL). The CampusCard can be obtained at the InfoCenter in the Triplex Mensa (cafeteria at University square) or in the Zentralmensa (INF 304). A Visiting Scholar Card  or a work contract is needed for confirmation. A five Euro deposit needs to be paid. [More...] (Ger)


Library Card

The University of Heidelberg has one main University library and numerous smaller libraries that belong to the institutes and specialize in literature related to the appropriate subjects. It is possible to access the University catalogue (HEIDI) via the University library web site. The catalogue also contains the library holdings of most of the institute libraries. International scholars can obtain a library card at the University library. The staff will create a borrowing account using a user number and the appropriate personal information. The library card can be obtained at the lending desk. Please note: Generally it is only possible to take home books from the library if staying in Heidelberg for three months or longer.

Documents needed:

  • Completed application form of the University library
  • International scholars’ identification card or confirmation from the host institute or employment contract with the University, if applicable
  • Passport or personal identification card
  • Copy of the registration of the place of residence in Heidelberg (Anmeldebescheinigung)



Computing Centre UserID

International scholars have free access to the internet everywhere on campus (WiFi and LAN). Furthermore it is possible to use Microsoft and UNIX computers at the University computing centre (URZ) located at In Neuenheimer Feld 293. The user ID needed to access the services of the computing centre is called "Projektnummer". The relevant application form needs to be signed by the "EDV-Beauftragte", that is the staff member at the host institute who is responsible for the computer system. One or two days after submitting the application the ID will be sent to the institute address by regular mail. The ID must be activated subsequently. [More...] (Ger)


Staff Sports Pass

International scholars can take part in the University sports programme. In order to do so you will need a staff sports pass with a picture. It is necessary to apply for it in person at the University sports office (Address: Im Neuenheimer Feld 700) by showing your international scholar card or your employment contract with the University and by paying an administration fee of 5.- € . You can find the current sports programme on the University sports office homepage. Courses specially offered for staff, scholars and professors are listed under the heading "Mitarbeitersport".  With e few exceptions the university sports courses generally do not require a registration in advance and are free of charge.  [More...] (Ger)



Administrative Matters


Bank Account


Employment at University



Jobticket (Ger)


Family and children

Child care


Financial assistance for families

Services for women


Everyday Life

Stadt Heidelberg Heidelberg – the name stands for the world-famous castle, the picturesque Old Town with all its charm, the inviting landscape between the Odenwald and the Rhine Valley, and for Germany’s oldest university and an internationally known centre of science and research.

Homepage  "Living in Heidelberg"



Email: Editor
Latest Revision: 2017-06-27
zum Seitenanfang/up