Incoming - Studies in HeidelbergShort-term studies for international students

International applicants, who started their course of studies abroad and who wish to temporarily participate in complementary or specialised studies at Heidelberg University but do not wish to graduate from Heidelberg University, may be admitted for a maximum period of two semesters.

Before you can apply, you need a written support confirmation from the faculty of Heidelberg University where you want to attend short-term studies. Usually, the academic advisors for the fields of study are your first contacts for approaching the respective faculty.  

In order to participate in the application procedure, applicants must apply via the online application portal heiCo in due form between 1 December and 31 March for the following summer semester and between 1 June and 30 September for the following winter semester. The application includes the upload of the required application documents in due time and form.

An essential prerequisite for successful studies in the German-taught study courses is a very good knowledge of the German language. Therefore, prospective short students will be required to present a certificate proving that they have obtained German-language skills at the second level of the “Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang” (DSH-2). If applicants cannot provide proof of an examination equivalent to the German language test for admission to universities (DSH), they will be required to take this test prior to enrolment at Heidelberg University. If German knowledge is not required for the short-term studies, this must be stated in the confirmation of supervision. The proof of German proficiency is not required for study courses taught in English.

Students who have been admitted to short-term studies at Heidelberg University are enrolled as regular full-time students. They benefit from all services available to those students who intend to earn a degree in Heidelberg. At the same time, they are obliged to pay the fees that apply: semester fees (with the exception of the fee for the Constituted Student Body - "Verfasste Studierendenschaft") and, when applicable, the general tuition fees for international students from outside the EU/ EEA. 

If during the short-term studies at Heidelberg University no credits (exams, papers etc.) are to be earned, it is possible to enroll in the scope of a transitional research stay. In this case only the semester fees, but not the general tuition fees for international students from outside the EU/EEA, must be paid. Admission to short-term studies for a temporary research stay also needs to be requested in time via the heiCO online application portal, including an upload of the required documents in support of your application, between 1 December and 31 March for the following summer semester and between 1 June and 30 September for the following winter semester

The status of a transitional research stay, and hence the lack of possibility to earn credits, must be confirmed by the Faculty/Institute that invites the student (see Application documents).