Service and AdviceUkrainian (Prospective) Students: Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to Heidelberg University’s website! The following information is to help you navigate on your way to entering a study program in Heidelberg. Please do not hesitate to contact us with individual questions. The International Office’s advisory team and the faculties’ academic advisors will be happy to help you.

Contact for Ukrainian prospective students and students

Ukrainian prospective students and students can submit their questions by phone at +49 6221 54-5464 or by e-mail to ukraine-support@uni-heidelberg.de.

General information on study programs

Which study programs are currently offered at Heidelberg University?

A wide variety of degree programs are offered at Heidelberg University.

Does Heidelberg University offer study programs taught (completely) in English?

Yes. Some of the master’s programs can be studied in English.

Does Heidelberg University offer its Medical program in English?

Unfortunately, no. To study Medicine, proof of very good German-language knowledge is required.

Requirements for Enrolment

Which level of German is required for German study programs?

On principle, students need to have a DSH2 level, which equals at least C1. Some study course require an even higher level.


I do not yet speak sufficient German to enter a study course. How can I reach the required level? Does the university offer German courses?

To pass the DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang), students need at least a C1 level of German. To reach this level, you can visit language courese in private language schools, at “Volkshochschule” or at the Goethe-Institut.
Heidelberg University’s “Internationales Studienzentrum (ISZ)“ offers German courses on all levels. On principle, these courses are subject to fees. There is, however, a limited number of places free of charge for refugees. The application in all cases is to be made directly to the ISZ. 

Does Heidelberg University offer English courses for prospective students?

Unfortunately, no. Prospective students must take English courses outside the university.

What other requirements to I have to meet if I wish to study at Heidelberg University?

To enter an undergraduate study program, applicants must have a so-called higher-education entrance qualification as well as very good German-language knowledge.
To enter a master’s program, applicants also need a university degree, e.g. a bachelor’s degree – often with a minimum grade. In English-language master’s programs, appropriate language knowledge must be proven.

I have a Ukrainian high-school diploma and/or a Ukrainian university degree. Can I study at Heidelberg University?

This must be assessed individually since certain requirements must be met. The assessment of prior education abroad at Heidelberg University is in accordance with the guidelines of the Central Office for International Education Affairs affiliated to the Standing Conference of State Education Ministers (“Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen bei der ständigen Konferenz der Kultusminister der Länder”) in Bonn. Further information on the recognition of foreign education is available online (Schulabschlüsse mit Hochschulzugang – SUCHE – select country – select degree; only available in German) and at the DAAD (also available in English).

Application for a study place

My prior education does not allow me to enter the university directly, but I must take the “Feststellungsprüfung” at “Studienkolleg”. What does that mean, and how can I apply to “Studienkolleg“?

If your prior education does not allow you to enter an undergraduate program directly, you must take the “Feststellungsprüfung”, which, in combination with your Ukrainian school-leaving certificate is your German higher-education entrance qualification. To take the “Feststellungsprüfung“, you must take a two-semester (one-year) course at “Studienkolleg”, at the end of which the exam is taken. Prospective students who wish to be admitted to the Studienkolleg must apply for the subject studies they intend to pursue after the Studienkolleg by the deadline via the online application portal.

My prior education allows me to enter the university directly. How can I apply for a study place?

That depends on your study program of choice (subject and intended degree, as well as corresponding application and admission procedure).

I have already started a study program in Ukraine and would like to continue my studies here. How is this possible?

If you fullfil the basic requirements (e.g. German-language knowledge for German study courses), you can apply to have your prior coursework assessed and transferred to the study program in Heidelberg. If enough coursework is transferred, you can apply for admission in a higher semester.


What should I keep in mind when it comes to finances?

Universities in Baden-Württemberg (Heidelberg belongs to Baden-Württemberg) have special tuition fees for non-EU-/-EEA nationals in undergraduate and in consecutive master’s programs (1,500 Euros per semester). If you have a residence permit for Germany on the grounds of §24, you are exempt from paying the tuition fees. Continuing-education programs have special fees. All students of all nationalities in all study programs must also pay a semester fee of currently 171.80 Euros per semester. Students, also those with a residence permit according to §24, cannot be exempt from paying the tuition fees in further-education programs or the semester fees.

Are there scholarships or other financial support for Ukrainian students?

On principle, there are scholarship opportunities (most of them outside the university). Unfortunately, there are currently no special scholarships for Ukrainian nationals.

Further Advice

I have further questions. Who can I speak to?

The student advisory team of the International Relations Office will be happy to answer your questions via email, on the phone, in person or in a video call. Please feel free to contact us in German or in English.

Explanatory videos in Ukrainian / Пояснювальні відео українською мовою

Information for prospective students on the topics „The university scene in Baden-Württemberg“ (Вищі навчальні заклади землі Баден-Вюртемберг), „Applying for a university course in Baden-Württemberg" (Подання заяви на вступ до вищого навчального закладу землі Баден-Вюртемберг) und “Everyday questions about university life” (Повсякденні питання щодо навчання).