Call for proposalsInternational Guest Professors
Funding for guest professor stays which take place or begin in the years 2020 and 2021
The project “Expanding Internationality“ is part of the Excellence Strategy of Heidelberg University for the period of 1 st November 2019 until 31 st October 2026. The project includes a funding line for international guest professors to stay at Heidelberg University. The objective of this funding line is to bring expert knowledge of renowned international academics to Heidelberg University, to increase and complement the research potential in certain fields, and to extend and internationalize the range of research-based teaching.
Funding can be used for
- one-time stays of foreign guest professors at Heidelberg University for a period of one to ten months,
- recurring stays of foreign guest professors at Heidelberg University for a period of one to six months per year over several years.
Applications can be submitted for one-time stays of foreign guest professors which shall take place or start in the years 2020 and 2021. For recurring stays of foreign guest professors, which shall start in the years 2020 or 2021, it is also possible to apply for funding beyond the year 2021.
Guest professors should make a contribution to research-based teaching during their stay at Heidelberg University (different formats are possible: regular courses, guest lectures, colloquia, workshops with graduate students).
Funding can be used for
- salary for the guest professor (by employment contract, research fellowship, freelance contract; the type of compensation will be determined on an individual basis),
- travel costs
- tangible means (e.g. for research assistants, workshops etc.).
Please take notice of the Guidelines for Calculation of Costs.
Proposals may be submitted by departments (via the respective faculty) and faculties of Heidelberg University. The host institutions commit themselves to providing an adequately equipped workplace for the guest professor.
Proposals should be limited to five pages (11 pt. font size, 1.5 line spacing) and should be structured as follows:
- general information about
— the institution submitting the proposal
— the candidate for the guest professorship
— the candidate’s home institution
— the time and duration of the guest professorship
- work programme at Heidelberg University
— tasks in research and teaching
— added value for the department / faculty and for Heidelberg University
- candidate’s qualifications
— core areas in research and teaching
— appraisal of academic performance
- cost plan.
Please attach the following documents:
- curriculum vitae of the candidate
- list of publications
- list of prizes and other references
- list of taught courses.
Proposals for the funding period should be submitted via email (if possible as one single pdf file) to the Head of the International Relations Office, Dr Joachim Gerke. Application deadline: May 15, 2020.
The proposals will be evaluated and selected by a commission chaired by the Vice-Rector for International Affairs.