Diese Seite ist nur auf Englisch verfügbar.

Studying in Heidelberg: Upon Your ArrivalArrival: Welcome to Heidelberg

A detailed welcome package with important information for the arrival days will be sent to all exchange students from their exchange coordinators at the International Relations Office of Heidelberg University. The package includes most up-to-date information on transportation, housing, services, shops, and upcoming events for exchange students.

Welcome to Heidelberg

Registration with Heidelberg University / Student ID

Registration for exchange students takes place at the Akademische Auslandsamt / International Relations Office. Detailed information on the  registration procedure is given on the letter of admission (Zulassungsbescheid) and in the Welcome Package for Exchange Students.

In order to register, exchange students must present the following documents:

  • valid passport (with student visa, if applicable)
  • documentation on health insurance
  • letter of admission (Zulassungsbescheid)

Upon enrolment, students receive the Student ID Card that gives access to the services of the University’s computer center (URZ), the university library (Universitätsbibliothek) and the facilities of the Studierendenwerk (e.g. Mensa). To get access to the university's online services, students need to activate their personal student account on the university portal LSF.

Getting a Campus Card and Computer Account

The University Computing Center (Universitätsrechenzentrum or URZ for short) is responsible for providing and maintaining computer services and facilities throughout the University. All students are entitled to use the computers and services provided by the URZ.

Upon registration, students receive a user identification code with which they can access these services. With the user ID all students are given a university e-mail address and can access the internet and e-mail account at almost all of the computers on campus.

Registration with the City / Residence Permit

In order to study in Germany, foreign students (except citizens of EU-countries) need a valid residence permit (Aufenthaltsbewilligung zu Studienzwecken). After  arriving in Heidelberg, students must get a residence permit within the first three months of their stay. This is a two-stage process:

  1. register your address with the city of Heidelberg at one of the city's Bürgerämter. You will need to present your passport and proof of your current address in Heidelberg (i.e. a copy of your lease).
  2.  A copy of the registration with the city is necessary to be able to apply for a residence permit at the Bürgeramt -Zuwanderungsangelegenheiten (local foreigners registration office) within the first 3 months after arrival. Depending on the length of the stay students must make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office to apply for a residence permit.

Banking and Financial Considerations

You will need to open a bank account in Heidelberg because monthly bills such as rent and health insurance are paid by standing order from a bank account rather than by check. In principle, you can open an account with any bank. However, you should be aware that some banks may charge a maintenance fee.

Because of growing international cooperation, many large banks now have partners abroad. If you have an account with one of these banks at home, it might be possible to withdraw money at the German partner bank without having to pay fees. Please contact your bank for further information. In order to open a bank account in Heidelberg you need to make an appointment and present your letter of admission, proof of residence (housing contract) and your passport.

Orientation Days for International Students

Every semester, the International Relations Offices organizes Orientation Days to introduce new international students to Heidelberg and to the German university system. It is also a great way to meet other students and make friends in Germany.