Services for international studentsGraduation Completion grant for international students
The International Relations Office has limited funding available for international students. The funding is intended to provide these students with financial support during the final phase of their studies, in order to prevent students from dropping out of their current course of study due to financial difficulties.
International students in the final phase of their studies (that is the last one to two semesters) may apply for funding if they
- are able to prove that they find themselves in unexpected, short-term financial difficulty through no fault of their own and cannot seek financial support from any other source and / or
- need to reduce their weekly working hours in order to focus on their degree.
Students who are subject to tuition fees for international students are required to check their eligibility for a tuition fee waiver prior to an application for the graduation completion grant:
Application deadline for the graduation completion grant
An application is possible once per semester.
Application period for the summer semester 2023:
Monday, 2 January 2023 until Tuesday 31 January 2023 at the latest.
Anticipated application deadline for the winter semester: July
Amount and duration of funding
This financial aid consists in monthly payments of approximately 300 - 400 € and is generally awarded for the lecture period of any given semester. Grants are awarded once per semester by a commission. Applicants have no legal claim to a grant of this kind.
Required application documents
- Application form for the graduation completion grant
- Copy of your passport and current residence permit (students from non-EU/EEA states)
- Current bank statement or a copy of declaration of commitment or other documents, which were presented as part of your most recent application for a residence permit as evidence of sufficient financial means to cover your living costs
- CV detailing your education history and employment circumstances (1 – 2 pages, A4)
- Informal cover letter (max. 1 page, A4) explaining why financial assistance is required
- Current employment contracts (if applicable)
- Current transcript of records
- Confirmation from the Examinations Office of your registration for the final exams OR confirmation of student's performance (= Studienstandsbescheinigung)
- Recent reference letter from a professor/teacher from your major subject area. The letter may be informally formulated and should include an assessment of your academic performance. The letter may be submitted by the applicant in a sealed envelope, or may be sent directly (via internal post or e-mail) to Mrs. Kumler by the professor/teacher.
Please be aware that we will review the information provided and may request forms of proof.
Applicants will receive written notification of the success or failure of their application by the end of March 2023.
Please direct your questions as well your application documents via e-mail until 31 January 2023 to:
International Relations Office