Services for international studentsGraduation Completion grant for international students
The International Relations Office has limited funding available for international students. The funding is intended to provide these students with financial support during the final phase of their studies, in order to prevent students from dropping out of their current course of study due to financial difficulties.
International students in the final phase of their studies (that is the last or penultimate semester) may apply for funding if they
- are able to prove that they find themselves in unexpected, short-term financial difficulty through no fault of their own and cannot seek financial support from any other source and / or
- need to reduce their weekly working hours in order to focus on their degree, provided they are (mainly) self-financed.
For details please refer to the attached document “Information on the application for a graduation completion grant” prior to your application, see link.
Students who are subject to tuition fees for international students are required to check their eligibility for a tuition fee waiver prior to an application for the graduation completion grant:
Application deadline for the graduation completion grant
An application is possible once per semester.
Application period for the summer semester 2024:
Monday, 1 January 2024 until Wednesday, 31 January 2024 at the latest.
Anticipated application deadline for the winter semester: August
Amount and duration of funding
This financial aid consists in monthly payments of approximately 300 - 400 € and is generally awarded for the lecture period of any given semester. Grants are awarded once per semester by a commission. Applicants have no legal claim to a grant of this kind.
Required application documents
- Fully completed application form
- Copy of your passport and current residence permit (students from non-EU/EEA states)
- Current statement of blocked account or copy of declaration of commitment or other documents, which were presented as part of your most recent application for a residence permit as evidence of sufficient financial means to cover your living costs
- Bank statement covering the last six months including a current balance
- CV detailing your education history and employment circumstances (1 – 2 pages, A4)
- Informal cover letter (max. 1 page, A4) explaining why financial assistance is required (please read the information sheet beforehand, see link above)
- Current employment contracts (if applicable)
- Current transcript of records
Confirmation from the Examinations Office of your registration for the final exams OR, if you have not yet registered for the exam, confirmation of student's performance (= Studienstandsbescheinigung verkürzt, see link)
Please be aware that we will review the information provided and may request forms of proof.
Applicants will receive written notification of the success or failure of their application by the end of March 2024.
Please direct your questions as well your application documents via e-mail until 31 January 2024 to:
International Relations Office