Social Security

SozialversicherungGermany has a comprehensive social security system that is regulated by law and includes health insurance, long-term care insurance, pension insurance, unemployment insurance and accident insurance. Generally, all employees with a gross income below a certain level automatically contribute to social security. The so-called Beitragsbemessungsgrenze ("assessable income limit") is adjusted every year and in 2023 it was set at 59.850 Euro. Recipients of grants or fellowships are not obliged to participate in the social security system, with the exception of health insurance.


Overview Social Security

1. Health Insurance

Every person living in Germany must be covered by health insurance and, therefore, all applicants for a residence permit must demonstrate that they have sufficient health insurance coverage. [More...]


2. Long-term Care Insurance

This type of insurance is automatically integrated in both state-regulated and private health insurance and insures against the consequences of needing long-term care. There is more information on the following web sites: How to GermanyExterner Inhalt, Federal Ministry of HealthExterner Inhalt, Long-term Care Insurance (German Social Insurance) (Ger)

3. Pension Insurance

Pension insurance protects you and your family if your ability to earn income is endangered or reduced or if the employment ends due to age or death. [More...]


4. Unemployment Insurance

Unemployment insurance offers insurance in the case of unemployment. [More...]


5. Accident Insurance

State-regulated accident insurance protects you in the case of a work-related accident. This means that you are insured only on the way to and from work, and during work. Your employer registers you with the appropriate Accident Prevention and Insurance Association and bears the accompanying costs.

In order to cover accidents that occur during your free time, we recommend that you take out private accident insurance. If you have accident insurance in your home country, you should check with your insurance provider whether this will be valid in Germany and what it will cover. There is more information on the following web sites: German State-Regulated Accident Insurance Association (Deutsche Gesetzliche Unfallversicherung)Externer Inhalt and Private Accident Insurance (Insurance Holders Association) (Ger)

Other Types of Insurance

Liability Insurance
It is strongly recommended to obtain a private liability insurance at the latest after your arrival in Germany. This kind of insurance covers damages that you cause to others, for example through carelessness (e.g. causing a bicycle accident). If you have taken out liability insurance in your home country, please ask if this insurance will also cover you during your stay in Germany. There is more information about liability insurance on the following web sites: How to GermanyExterner Inhalt  and Liability Insurance (Insurance Holders Association) (Ger)


Household Insurance
Household insurance insures your household against break-ins, theft, vandalism, fire (fire, lightning strikes, explosions) and water damage. The household includes all furnishings such as furniture, household appliances, rugs and curtains as well as books, CDs, dinnerware and clothing. All objects that do not belong to you but are temporarily located in your house also belong to your household for the purposes of household insurance. Household insurance can be extended and adjusted to suit your individual needs. More information is on the  following web sites: How to GermanyExterner Inhalt and Household Insurance (Insurance Holders Association) (Ger)

E-Mail: Seitenbearbeiter
Letzte Ă„nderung: 2023-01-02
zum Seitenanfang/up