General Outline of "Knowledge and Power"
- What are the relations between knowledge and power? Which roles do various types of knowledge (scientific knowledge, symbolic knowledge, etc.) play in the acquisition, support and legitimization of power? How far has scientific knowledge been used as a means of salvation?
- Control and manipulation of knowledge. Censorship in historical perspective. Coalitions between power and media. What methods do political leaders and gatekeepers of media apply to influence the production and dissemination of information and knowledge? Who regulates in which way the access of intellectuals to the platforms of public attention?
- Making the Past: history, identity, and cultural politics. What methods are used to construct and manipulate identities and collective memories? Access to archives and free speech in historical, cultural and political perspective?
- By which means does symbolic knowledge legitimize power in different cultures and political systems? Hegemony and popular culture.
- What is the role of experts? How are they recruited and how is their function legitimated in different cultures and political systems? The power of experts in historical perspective.