General Outline of "Learning Organizations"
- Knowledge and organizational structures. Where should rare (specialized) knowledge be located within an organization with regard to the goals of the organization and the uncertainty of the environment? What external and internal factors influence the question whether centralized or decentralized decision-making or whether organic or bureaucratic structures are more efficient in different types or organizations?
- What do we mean by organizational learning and how can it be defined? Psychological, sociological and geographical foundations of organizational learning. Triggers of organizational learning. How do organizations learn from success and failure, from their competitors and their spatial environment? What improves or inhibits these learning capabilities and processes?
- Is the individual the main agent of organizational learning or should we pay more attention to structures, rules, cultures, and traditions of organizations as well as to their locations and environment? The role of experience, routines and previous knowledge for organizational learning.
- Learning in Multinationals. Knowledge transfer between cultures, and between centre and periphery. The role of power, networks, emotions and conflicts for organizational learning. International division of labour concerning research and development of Multinationals. Face-to-face contacts and the role of information technology in Multinational.
- Can knowledge and organizational learning be managed? Knowledge sharing and knowledge management in firms. Conditions, practices, tools and barriers of organizational learning. Perspectives and limits of knowledge management. Are Chief Learning Officers or Chief Knowledge Officers a reasonable and efficient concept?
Latest Revision: 2022-02-11