Laurin Herberich, M.A.
Zentrum für Europäische Geschichts- und Kulturwissenschaften (ZEGK)
Room 411 in the branch office of the Historical Seminar (Marstallstraße)
Phone: +49 (0)6221 547859
- History of the military religious orders (esp. of the Hospitallers)
- History of the Republic of Venice
- History of the Republic of Genoa
- History of the Eastern Mediterranean
- Historical Methodology (esp. Latin Philology)
Maritime Predators in the Eastern Mediterranean
The diction of sources doesn’t usually match the definition of researchers. Therefore, the fact that the main actors in the Rhodian “corso” of the Hospitallers in the Eastern Mediterranean are called “piratae” as well as “cursarii” by the mostly affected Venetians, reflects said rule of thumb. Surprisingly empirical research derives its definitions of the phenomenon of maritime predation not only from the modern equivalents of the latter terms, but also specifically from their distinction. Reasons seem to be its source-analytical focus on entities and its legalist understanding of maritime predation.
To test newer attempts at definitions empirically and support them possibly, this project is not only setting a new focus on group- and single actors, but also a new outcomeoriented understanding of maritime predation as its guiding principle.
The aim is a prosopographical study of the phenomenon of maritime predation, that should enable insights in financial structures, social careers as well as diplomatic networks. At the end, a more useful definition of the phenomenon in the Late Middle Ages should be available, which matches its actors.
- since October 2022: Researcher in the DFG-Project „Medieval Maritime Predation – A Database Supported Analysis of Mediterranean Violence“
- October 2021 – September 2022: Scientific Assistant at the Chair for Medieval History (Prof. Dr. Nikolas Jaspert) at the Department of History of the Ruprecht-Karls-University Heidelberg
- July 2021: Second State Exam (Latin and History)
- January 2020 – July 2021: Student Teacher at Ludwig-Frank-Gymnasium Mannheim and the Seminar for Professional Training of Teachers Heidelberg
- November 2019: First State Exam (Latin and History)
- October 2013 – November 2019: Studies in Classical Philology and History at the Ruprecht-Karls-University Heidelberg
- Alfons V. and his Predators – Control through Goodwill, in: Ibero-Mediaevistik. Mittelalterforschung zur Iberischen Halbinsel (08.10.2022), URL: [https://iberome.hypotheses.org/1449] (08.10.2022).
- In vielen, nicht so einfachen Schritten zum eigenen Metropolitanbistum, in: Ibero-Mediaevistik. Mittelalterforschung zur Iberischen Halbinsel (26.12.2021), URL: [https://iberome.hypotheses.org/664] (26.12.2021).
- “[multum] aliud importat” – Venetians, Catalans and Maritime Predators, in: Ibero-Mediaevistik. Mittelalterforschung zur Iberischen Halbinsel (18.11.2021), URL: [https://iberome.hypotheses.org/664] (18.11.2021).
- Winter term 2022/23: Norman Connections (Excursion)
- Summer term 2022: The Teutonic Order in the Countz of Hohenlohe (Excursion)
- Summer term 2022: The Teutonic Order (Seminar)
- Winter term 2021/22: Venice and Maritime Predation (Exercise)