Dr. Simon Schaub
Institut für Politische Wissenschaft
Bergheimer Str. 58, Room 03.042
Phone: (+49) 6221 54 2898
Please register for office hour appointments here. The appointments take place via Heidelberg University's video-conference-platform heiCONF.
Simon Schaub studied Political Science at Heidelberg University from 2011 until 2017. Besides, he spent one semester at Monash University Melbourne in Australia in 2016. He graduaded with a Master of Arts degree in September 2017. His master's thesis was written on the subject of regulation of risk technologies in the European Union. In detail, the thesis examinded voting behavior of Members of the European Parliament on resolutions on the approval of genetically modified organisms. Since October 2017, Simon Schaub is employed as academic assistant at Prof. Dr. Jale Tosun's Chair of Political Science.
Current research project
- DeepDCarb aims at gaining insights into how societies may commit to deep and rapid reduction of carbon emissions to stop anthropogenic global warming. Central actors have been found to be caught in a “governance trap” where they attribute primary responsibility to each other and refrain from taking a lead in adopting long-term and effective measures. DeepDCarb focuses on identifying ways of how societies address long-term commitment dilemmas and how these may be overcome. Further information can be found here
- Effect-Net: A multi-scale effect network for hazard identification and risk evaluation of high consumption chemicals in aquatic ecosystems - Drugs, pharmaceuticals and food additives - from receptors to biodiversity. Funded by MWK Baden-Württemberg (www.effect-net-wasser.de/). A project description can be found here.
- Schaub, Simon (2021). Public contestation over agricultural pollution: a discourse network analysis on narrative strategies in the policy process. Policy Sciences, doi: 10.1007/s11077-021-09439-x.
- Tosun, Jale and Simon Schaub (2021). Constructing policy narratives for transnational mobilization: Insights from European Citizens’ Initiatives. European Policy Analysis, doi: 10.1002/epa2.1125.
- Schaub, Simon and Thomas Braunbeck (2020). Transition towards sustainable pharmacy? The influence of public debates on policy responses to pharmaceutical contaminants in water. Environmental Sciences Europe, 32, 140. doi: 10.1186/s12302-020-00423-5.
- Zingraff-Hamed, Aude, Schröter, Barbara, Schaub, Simon, Lepenies, Robert, Stein, Ulf, Hüesker, Frank, Meyer, Claas, Schleyer, Christian, Schmeier, Susanne and Martin T. Pusch (2020). Perception of bottlenecks in the implementation of the European Water Framework Directive. Water Alternatives, 13(3), 1-26.
- Schaub, Simon and Florence Metz (2020). Comparing Discourse and Policy Network Approaches: Evidence from Water Policy on Micropollutants. Politics and Governance, 8(2), 184-199, doi: 10.17645/pag.v8i2.2597.
- Hartung, Ulrich and Simon Schaub (2020). Risikotechnologie in der Kommunalpolitik. Das Abstimmungsverhalten von Ratsmitgliedern über Anbauverbote für gentechnisch veränderte Pflanzen. Zeitschrift für Umweltpolitik und Umweltrecht 43(2), 165-190.
- Tosun, Jale, Scherer, Ulrike, Simon Schaub and Harald Horn (2020). Making Europe go from bottles to the tap: Political and societal attempts to induce behavioral change. WIREs Water, e1435, doi: 10.1002/wat2.1435.
- Tosun, Jale, Simon Schaub and Andreas Fleig (2020). What determines regulatory preferences? Insights from micropollutants in surface waters. Environmental Science and Policy (106), 136-144. doi: 10.1017/j.envsci.2020.02.001.
- Schaub, Simon (2019). Salient to Whom? The Positioning of German Political Parties on Agricultural Pollutants in Water Bodies. Water 11(11), 2278, doi: 10.3390/w11112278.
- Schaub, Simon and Jale Tosun (2019). Spurenstoffeinträge in Gewässer: Der Einfluss von Vertrauen in Akteure auf die Problemwahrnehmung. Zeitschrift für Umweltpolitik und Umweltrecht 42(2), 185-213.
- Hartung, Ulrich and Simon Schaub (2018). The Regulation of Genetically Modified Organisms on a Local Level: Exploring the Determinants of Cultivation Bans. Sustainability, 10(10), 3392, doi: 10.3390/su10103392.
- Tosun, Jale and Simon Schaub (2017). Mobilization in the European public sphere: The struggle over GMOs. Review of Policy Research, 34(3), 310-330, doi: 10.1111/ropr.12235.
- 2021: Funding for initiating a joint project on "sustainable drinking water" (funded by the Water Research Network Baden Württemberg and the Ministry of Science, Research and Art Baden-Württemberg (MWK); joint application by Dr. Sina Klein and Simon Schaub): 15.000 €.
- 2018: Funding for a workshop titled "Integrated Assessment Modelling of Water Governance" which will be held in September 2018 (funded by the Water Research Network Baden Württemberg; joint application by Dr. Andreas Fleig, Dr. Sanam Vardag, and Simon Schaub): 18.000 €.