Dr. Simon Schaub
Institut für Politische Wissenschaft
Bergheimer Str. 58, Room 03.042
Phone: (+49) 6221 54 2898
Please register for office hour appointments by writing an e-mail.
Simon Schaub is an academic assistant at Prof. Dr. Jale Tosun's Chair of Political Science since October 2017. He studied Political Science at Heidelberg University from 2011 where he graduaded with a Master of Arts degree in 2017. His master's thesis investigated the regulation of green biotechnology in the European Union. In detail, the thesis examinded voting behavior of Members of the European Parliament on resolutions on the approval of genetically modified organisms. In July 2021, he finished his PhD conducted within the research project Effect-Net at Heidelberg University under supervision of Prof. Dr. Jale Tosun. His dissertation investigated public debates on water pollution by contaminants of emerging concern and agricultural pollutants and the debates' influence on policy making. Currently, Simon Schaub conducts research on climate politics as a postdoc within the research project DeepDCarb where he focuses on climate policy, its determinants and impacts on climate change mitigation.
Current research project
- DeepDCarb aims at gaining insights into how societies may commit to deep and rapid reduction of carbon emissions to stop anthropogenic global warming. Central actors have been found to be caught in a “governance trap” where they attribute primary responsibility to each other and refrain from taking a lead in adopting long-term and effective measures. DeepDCarb focuses on identifying ways of how societies address long-term commitment dilemmas and how these may be overcome. Further information can be found here
- Effect-Net: A multi-scale effect network for hazard identification and risk evaluation of high consumption chemicals in aquatic ecosystems - Drugs, pharmaceuticals and food additives - from receptors to biodiversity. Funded by MWK Baden-Württemberg (www.effect-net-wasser.de/). A project description can be found here.
- Fellow of the Young Marsilius Fellow Program for Interdisciplinarity and Science Communication of the Marsilius Kolleg for excellent postdocs affiliated with Heidelberg University (2021/2022).
- Fellow of the interdisciplinary Heidelberg Center for the Environment Zukunftskolleg (2018/2019). The Zukunftskolleg promotes den interdisciplinary exchange among doctoral candidates and postdocs conducting research on the environment in natural, social and cultural sciences.
- Simon Schaub was awared with the Environmental Award of the Viktor and Sigrid Dulger Foundation in 2021 for his dissertation's excellent research on the environment.
- Jordan, Andrew, Lorenzoni, Irene, Tosun, Jale, Enguer i Saus, Joan, Geese, Lucas, Kenny, John, Levario Saad, Emiliano, Moore, Brendan and Simon Schaub (2022). The political challenges of deep decarbonisation: towards a more integrated agenda. Climate Action, 1(1), 6, doi: 10.1007/s44168-022-00004-7.
- Kosow, Hannah, Kirschke, Sabrina, Borchardt, Dietrich, Cullmann, Johannes, Guillaume, Joseph H. A., Hannah, David M., Schaub Simon and Jale Tosun (2022). Scenarios of water extremes ‐ framing ways forward for wicked problems. Hydrological Processes, doi: 10.1002/hyp.14492.
- Schaub, Simon (2021). The Politics of Water Protection. Heidelberg University Library: Heidelberg, doi: 10.11588/heidok.00030285.
- Schaub, Simon and Thomas Braunbeck (2020). Transition towards sustainable pharmacy? The influence of public debates on policy responses to pharmaceutical contaminants in water. Environmental Sciences Europe, 32, 140. doi: 10.1186/s12302-020-00423-5.
- Zingraff-Hamed, Aude, Schröter, Barbara, Schaub, Simon, Lepenies, Robert, Stein, Ulf, Hüesker, Frank, Meyer, Claas, Schleyer, Christian, Schmeier, Susanne and Martin T. Pusch (2020). Perception of bottlenecks in the implementation of the European Water Framework Directive. Water Alternatives, 13(3), 1-26.
- Schaub, Simon and Florence Metz (2020). Comparing Discourse and Policy Network Approaches: Evidence from Water Policy on Micropollutants. Politics and Governance, 8(2), 184-199, doi: 10.17645/pag.v8i2.2597.
- Tosun, Jale, Scherer, Ulrike, Simon Schaub and Harald Horn (2020). Making Europe go from bottles to the tap: Political and societal attempts to induce behavioral change. WIREs Water, e1435, doi: 10.1002/wat2.1435.
- Tosun, Jale, Simon Schaub and Andreas Fleig (2020). What determines regulatory preferences? Insights from micropollutants in surface waters. Environmental Science and Policy (106), 136-144. doi: 10.1017/j.envsci.2020.02.001.
- Schaub, Simon (2019). Salient to Whom? The Positioning of German Political Parties on Agricultural Pollutants in Water Bodies. Water 11(11), 2278, doi: 10.3390/w11112278.
- Schaub, Simon and Jale Tosun (2019). Spurenstoffeinträge in Gewässer: Der Einfluss von Vertrauen in Akteure auf die Problemwahrnehmung. Zeitschrift für Umweltpolitik und Umweltrecht 42(2), 185-213.
- Schaub, Simon (2021). Public contestation over agricultural pollution: a discourse network analysis on narrative strategies in the policy process. Policy Sciences, 54, 783–821, doi: 10.1007/s11077-021-09439-x.
- Tosun, Jale and Simon Schaub (2021). Constructing policy narratives for transnational mobilization: Insights from European Citizens’ Initiatives. European Policy Analysis, doi: 10.1002/epa2.1125.
Risk governance: green biotechnology
- Jin, Yan, Schaub, Simon, Tosun, Jale and Justus Wesseler (2022). Does China have a public debate on genetically modified organisms? A discourse network analysis of public debate on Weibo. Public Understanding of Science, doi: 10.1177%2F09636625211070150
- Hartung, Ulrich and Simon Schaub (2020). Risikotechnologie in der Kommunalpolitik. Das Abstimmungsverhalten von Ratsmitgliedern über Anbauverbote für gentechnisch veränderte Pflanzen. Zeitschrift für Umweltpolitik und Umweltrecht 43(2), 165-190.
- Hartung, Ulrich and Simon Schaub (2018). The Regulation of Genetically Modified Organisms on a Local Level: Exploring the Determinants of Cultivation Bans. Sustainability, 10(10), 3392, doi: 10.3390/su10103392.
- Tosun, Jale and Simon Schaub (2017). Mobilization in the European public sphere: The struggle over GMOs. Review of Policy Research, 34(3), 310-330, doi: 10.1111/ropr.12235.
- 2021: Funding for initiating a joint project on "sustainable drinking water" (funded by the Water Research Network Baden Württemberg and the Ministry of Science, Research and Art Baden-Württemberg (MWK); joint application by Dr. Sina Klein and Simon Schaub): 15.000 €.
- 2018: Funding for a workshop titled "Integrated Assessment Modelling of Water Governance" which will be held in September 2018 (funded by the Water Research Network Baden Württemberg; joint application by Dr. Andreas Fleig, Dr. Sanam Vardag, and Simon Schaub): 18.000 €.