Master of Arts "Corporate Governance in the Welfare System"
Get the latest information (in German): Flyer (pdf)
Beginning in Winter Semester 2005, the Institute for Diaconal Studies, the Protestant University of Applied Sciences Ludwigshafen and the University of Applied Sciences Ludwigshafen will offer advanced training for working professionals.
Master of Arts
"Unternehmensführung im Wohlfahrtsbereich"
(in English: 'Corporate Governance in the Welfare System')
Aims of the Course
The welfare system is in a state of change. Especially non-profit suppliers of health- and social services are challenged by current structural changes. Several factors are influencing the field: High economic pressure as a consequence of scarcer financial ressources, fierce competition with new profit-oriented suppliers, the necessity for profile formation in the wake of customers' decreasing ideological committments.
These aspects alter the composition and motivation of co-workers. The religious and humanitarian convictions which are the proprium of non-profit organizations are fading. In the long run non-profit welfare corporations can only be successful if they are ready to undergo a change in their corporate governance: a change toward a professional, holistic way of leading. They must learn to integrate the competences and knowledge-bases of such divergent fields as economic sciences, diaconal theology as well as social work and health sciences.
Objectives of the Course
Successful completion of the degree will allow graduates to take up executive roles in corporations, administrative institutions and associations in the health and social sector. Special attention is given to organisations within church-based social services (e.g. ambulant services, stationary facilities).
Upon satisfactory completion of the course, students should possess:
- the ability to analyze sociopolitical and economic processes of transformation, be able to correlate them to their own organization and to initiate innovative processes.
- the ability to develop an understanding for the structures and the self-understanding of non-profit organizations, especially churchy-based organizations.
- the ability to take up and practise executive roles in social corporations in accordance with economic, ethical and theological knowledge
- the ability to develop and strengthen capacities for leadership and team work
- knowledge of the development and implementation of quality-management systems
- Students who successfully complete this course are eligible to enrol in the doctoral program.
- executives in the health and social sector who would like to qualify for positions in higher management or who want to base their work on a wider interdisciplinary foundation
- potential executives who wish to qualify for their first executive position
- qualified employees and executive staff from corporations in the welfare sector who want to qualify for counselling positions (e.g. in management consultancy, organisational development)
- qualified employees and executive staff seeking to qualify for scientific degrees in the field of social management
- corporations, administrative institutions and associations in the welfare sector seeking appropriate qualifications for their personnel.
Prerequisites for Admission
• A university degree in a relevant field for the health and social sector.
• Professional experience in the health or social sector for at least one year. In individual cases permission to proceed can be granted if the student can refer to honorary or other voluntary activity in an executive role.
• Professional or voluntary executive activity during the study program.
The study program equips students with interdisciplinary competence for the management of facilities, corporations and associations of public welfare, especially of church-based suppliers:
- Economic essentials
- Corporate governance
- Financing instruments and marketing
- Controlling und planning
- Personnel management and corporate strategy
- Quality management
- Theological essentials
- Historical and economic diaconal work
- Anthropology, hermeneutics und diaconal sciences
- Socio-political essentials
- Communicative and ethical managerial competence
- Essentials in legal affairs
- Interdisciplinary corporate governance
- Scientific methodology.
The M.A. is a two-year part-time program that is suitable for working professionals.
The study program is structured in several modules.
The Institute has requested acknowledgement of the program as advanced training in accordance with the Bildungsfreistellungsgesetz of the Ministry for Science, Advanced Training, Research and Culture of Rhineland-Palatinate.
After satisfactory completion of the program the student will be awarded the degree of a "Master of Arts" (M. A.). This provides a recognized basis for doctoral studies.
Students are required to pay tuition fees. The fee for each semester is 1.760 Euro, plus 104 Euro in administratvie charges. This covers all teaching and examination. The libraries and other student facilities of the three universities may be used for free. A student pass for the use of public transport services in the Rhein-Neckar region is also included.
Further inquiries can be addressed to:
Susana Rocha Teixeira
Masterstudiengang „Unternehmensführung im Wohlfahrtsbereich“
Bergheimer Straße 20
Tel.: (0 62 21) 54 81 57 (Di 14-17 Uhr und Do 9-13 Uhr)
Fax: (0 62 21) 54 81 55
Sekretariat Frau Lucia Weber
Karlstr. 16, 69117 Heidelberg
Tel. 0049 - (0) 62 21/5433-36 or -39,
Fax: 0049 - (0) 62 21/5433-80