Prof. Dr. Madeleine Herren-Oesch
Department of Modern History
Since April 2013 Prof. Dr. Madeleine Herren is Director of the Centre for Advanced European-Global Studies Basel.
During summer term 2013 PD Dr. Stefanie Michels holds the deputy professorship of Modern History.
Research focuses on boundaries and their transgression, on concepts of the mutual influence of global, local and national actors, and on the transfer of knowledge and information:
- European history and global history of the 19th and 20th century
- The history of international organisations, the League of Nations and the United Nations
- Internationalism and 19th century foreign policy networks, soft power and public diplomacy
- The historical development of transboundary networks and international civil society
- Historiography and historical methods
- Encyclopaedias, knowledge transfer and information cultures
A summary of ongoing and completed research projects can be found here.