Prof. Dr. Aurel Croissant
Professor of Political Science
Prof. Dr. Aurel Croissant is Professor of Political Science at the Institute of Political Science, Ruprecht-Karls-University, Heidelberg. His main research interests include the comparative analysis of political structures and processes in East- and Southeast Asia, the theoretical and empirical analysis of democracy, civil-military relations, terrorism and political violence. Further information can be found in the curriculum vitae and on the following pages:
- Bio - here, you will find more information on me and my academic career.
- Publications - contains a complete list of my publications.
- In the media - where links to a seleciton of my media appearances are referenced.
- Croissant, Aurel/Kuehn, David/Eschenauer, Tanja (2018). “The “dictator’s endgame”: Explaining military behavior in nonviolent anti-incumbent mass protests“, Democracy & Security, online first.
- Croissant, Aurel/Lorenz, Philip (2018). Comparative Politics of Southeast Asia. An Introduction into Government and Politics (Heidelberg: Springer).
- Hellmann, Olli/Croissant, Aurel (guest editors) (2018), “State Capacity and the Survival of Electoral Authoritarianism”, Special Issue International Political Science Review, 38(1).
- Croissant, Aurel/Eschenauer, Tanja/Kamerling, Jil (2018), “Militaries’ Roles in Political Regimes: Introducing the PRM Data Set”. European Political Science, 16(3), 400-414.
- Croissant, Aurel/Eschenauer, Tanja/Kamerling, Jil (2018), “The Military and Autocratic Regimes: Roles of the Armed Forces, in: Gerschewski, Johannes/Stefes, Christoph H. (eds.). Crisis in Authoritarian Regimes, Boulder, Co.: Lynne Rienner, 89-111.
- Croissant, Aurel/Eschenauer, Tanja (2018), “The Military and Politics in North Africa and the Levant”, Routledge Handbook of Mediterranean Politics, edited by R. Gillespie and F. Volpi, New York/London: Routledge, 157-170.
- Aurel Croissant and David Kuehn (eds.). Reforming Civil-Military Relations in New Democracies: Democratic Control and Military: Effectiveness in Comparative Perspectives. Heidelberg: Springer VS. 2017.
- Aurel Croissant, Sascha Kneip, Alexander Petring (eds.). Demokratie, Diktatur, Gerechtigkeit. Festschrift für Wolfgang Merkel (Democracy, Dictatorship, Justice. Festschrift for Wolfgang Merkel). Wiesbaden: Springer VS, 2017.
- Aurel Croissant. (2016) Historical Trajectories and Current Challenges. Singapore: ISEAS - Yusof Ishak Institute.