Nicole M. Schmidt
Institute of Political Science
Bergheimer Str. 58, Room 03.043
Phone: (+49) 06221-54-3728
Nicole M. Schmidt studied Political Science, Economics and Slavic Studies in Heidelberg, at the University of Georgia in Athens, GA, USA and at Sciences Po Paris. Upon the completion of her graduate studies (Master of Arts) in March 2014, Ms. Schmidt began working for the Heidelberg Center for the Environment (HCE) as an academic assistant until November 2014. Ms. Schmidt continued on as an academic assistant at the Institute for Political Science, while beginning her dissertation in October 2014 under the supervision of Professor Jale Tosun at the chair of Political Science. Her research investigates climate policies, particularly adaptation policies in a comparative manner. Further research interests include climate change and comparative environmental politics as well as public policy.
Ongoing Research Projects
- Bewertung und Wahrnehmung von Grün- und Freiflächen in urbanen Regionen im Kontext von Klimaschutz und Klimaanpassung (GREIF), Working Group Politics (with Jale Tosun). Funded by Heidelberg Karlsruhe Research Partnership (HEiKA). Further information on the project can be found here.
- Wagner, M., Mager, C., Schmidt, N.M., Kiese, N. & A. Growe (2019): Conflicts about Urban Green Spaces in Metropolitan Areas under Conditions of Climate Change: A Multidisciplinary Analysis of Stakeholders' Perceptions of Planning Process, Urban Science 3(1), 15. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/urbansci3010015
- Tosun, J., Misic, M. & N.M. Schmidt (2019): The Public’s Perception of International Climate Leadership: Insights from the European Union. In: B. Edmondson and S. Levy (eds.), Transformative Climates and Accountable Governance, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Schmidt, N. M., and A. Fleig (2018): Global Patterns of National Climate Policies: Analyzing 171 Country Portfolios on Climate Policy Integration. Environmental Science and Policy 84, 177-185. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2018.03.003
- Schmidt, N. M., Teschner, N. and M. Negev (2018): Scientific Advice and Administrative Traditions: The Role of Chief Scientists in Climate Change Adaptation. Review of Policy Research 35(6), 859-880. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ropr.12295
- Tobin, P., Schmidt, N. M., Tosun, J. and C. Burns (2018): Mapping states' Paris climate pledges: Analysing targets and groups at COP21. Global Environmental Change 48,11-21. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2017.11.002
- Fleig, A., Schmidt, N. M. and J. Tosun (2017): Legislative Dynamics of Mitigation and Adaptation Framework Policies in the EU. European Policy Analysis, 3, 101-124. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/epa2.1002
- Schmidt, N. M. (2016): Review of the book "European Union and Environmental Governance", by Henrik Selin and Stacy D. VanDeveer. Political Studies Review, 14(3).
- Schmidt, N. M. (2013): Australia and Its Swift Disaster Response Management, in: Gemenne, François, Brückner, Pauline and Ionesco, Dina. (eds.), The State of Environmental Migrations 2013. A Review of 2012, Paris.
- Ad hoc reviewer for Public Administration, Policy Sciences, Policy & Society, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Climate Science
- Conference organizer (13.479,00 €; with Paul Tobin and Jale Tosun). “Climate Governance Trends: Mitigation and Adaptation Policies”. 15-17 May 2017. INOGOV, Heidelberg University, Heidelberg, Germany.
- External funding from Field of Focus 4 for the workshop "Climate Governance Trends: Mitigation and Adaptation Policies", joint application with Dr. Andreas Fleig and Dr. Dorothee Amelung: 1.595,80€.