The University of Heidelberg was not the first German seat of higher learning to open its doors to women, either as students or as professors. But in the year 1900 things finally got started. Three women students were admitted to the Faculty of Medicine and one to the Faculty of Arts. But over half a century was to elapse before the appointment of the first full-tenure woman professor here in 1959. The exhibition under the aegis of the University's Commissioner for Women's Affairs traces the 100-year history of women at the University. It is on show in the entrance hall of the Old University building from 20 October 2000 to 20 January 2001.
It is a history of courage and protest, commitment and setbacks; but it is also a success story. Today the number of women studying at the University tops the 50% mark and though the percentage of women professors is less impressive (there are only 31 all told) this figure too is rising and can be seen as a token of the way the times are changing.
Opening times: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays to Saturdays
Old University, Grabengasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg
Please address any inquiries to:
Prof. Dr. Annemarie Pucci, Dr. Agnes Speck
Office of the University Commissioner for Women's Affairs
Phone: 06221-547697, fax: 547271
Dr. Michael Schwarz
Press Officer of the University of Heidelberg
phone: 06221/542310, fax: 54317