ERASMUS Incoming Office
Ganna Harms
Seminarstr. 2
69117 Heidelberg
Phone +49 6221 54-12744

Office hours (room 32):
Mon - Wed: 10 - 12 am
Thursday:     1 - 3 pm

Related Information

Registration of residence and residence permit

Registration of residence

Every new student at Heidelberg University, including all international students, must register with the Amt für öffentliche Ordnung (Bürgeramt/Einwohnermeldeamt) immediately after moving into their new residence. You must turn to the branch office which is responsible for the part of town you live in. The exact addresses and further information is available in the Info Café International (ICI) at the Triplexmensa near Universitätsplatz and in the Akademisches Auslandsamt, room 33.

Note: You will have to present a valid passport and proof of your current residence (for example a copy of the tenancy agreement).


Residence permit

Citizens of European Union member states no longer need a residence permit but may obtain one if they wish. Citizens of EFTA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland) may apply for a residence permit after arriving in Germany. Applications should be made at the Amt für Öffentliche Ordnung or at the Department for Foreign Affairs (Amt für Ausländerangelegenheiten). Students need to submit the following documents for a residence permit:

  • registration form (available at the office)
  • valid passport or identity card
  • letter of admission from the University of Heidelberg (the original and 1 copy or student card)
  • statement of financial support (e.g. grant confirmation)
  • proof of health insurance
  • 2 passport-sized photos (EU-citizens), 1 photo (all other).

From the Info Café International (ICI) at the Triplex-Mensa (Universitätsplatz) you can get more Information on how to obtain a residence permit and where to apply for it. The Amt für Öffentliche Ordnung is located in Bergheimerstrasse 69. It is responsible for students resident in Heidelberg.

Citizens of all other countries must have a valid student visa before entering Germany. In order to obtain a residence permit in advance, you must apply to the German embassy or consulate in your country of residence. To help students with this procedure the Auslandsamt asks the Ausländerbehörde to issue a provisional approval (Vorabzustimmung zur Visumserteilung). If a provisional approval is possible, this Vorabzustimmung is contained in the letter of admission (Zulassungsbescheid). With this document you should be able to obtain visa within a few weeks.

Please note: A tourist visa does not entitle you to enrol at Heidelberg University.


Email: Editor
Latest Revision: 2014-07-11
zum Seitenanfang/up