Team - Dr. Karlijn van den Broek
Dr. Karlijn van den Broek
Mental models & Decision-making
- Environmental literacy
Co-PI in the interdisciplinary MultiTip project within which she investigates mental models on the Nile perch fishery among Lake Victoria stakeholders. For this project, she has developed M-Tool, a software for capturing mental models. This is the first tool that offers a standardized approach that does not require participants literacy for eliciting mental models.
She is part of a select team that is trained at the Postdoc Academy for Transformational Leadership, funded by the Robert-Bosch-Stiftung. The 2-year program trains the next generation of leaders in sustainability and transformation research in Europe.
Education and Employment:
June 2017-present Postdoctoral researcher, University of Heidelberg
Dec. 2016 PhD in Environmental Psychology, University of Bath (Trivial corrections)
Sept. 2012 MSc. Social Psychology, University of Groningen (With distinction/Cum Laude)
Sept. 2011 Bsc. Psychology, University of Groningen
- Ogunbode, C.A., Pallesen, S., Böhm, G., Doran, R., Bhullar, N., Aquino, S., Marot, T., Schermer, J.A., Wlodarczyk, A., Lu, S., Jiang, F., Salmela-Aro, K., Hanss, D., Maran, D.A., Ardi, R., Chegeni, R., Tahir, H., Ghanbarian, E., Park, J., Tsubakita, T., Tan, C., van den Broek, K.L., Chukwuorji, J.C., Ojewumi, K., Reyes, M.E.S., Lins, S., Enea, V., Volkodav, T., Sollar, T., Navarro-Carrillo, G., Torres-Marín, J., Mbungu, W., Onyutha, C., & Lomas, M.J (2021). Negative emotions about climate change are related to insomnia symptoms and mental health: Cross-sectional evidence from 25 countries. Current Psychology.
- van den Broek KL, Luomba J, Onyango HO, Musobya M, Klein SA. A framework for co-developing conservation research projects with stakeholders: A Lake Victoria case study. Lakes & Reserv. 2020;00:1–10.
Fischer, H., van den Broek, K. L., Ramisch, K., & Okan, Y. (2020). When IPCC graphs can foster or bias understanding: Evidence among decision-makers from governmental and non-governmental institutions. Environmental Research Letters. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/abbc3c
Van den Broek, K.L. (2019). Stakeholders' perceptions of the socio‐economic and environmental challenges at Lake Victoria. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research & Management, 00:1–7. https://doi.org/10.1111/lre.12275
Van den Broek, K.L. (2019). Household Energy Literacy: A critical review and a conceptual typology. Energy Research & Social Science, 57, 101256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2019.101256
Van den Broek, K.L., Walker, I. & Klöckner, C.A. (2019). Drivers of energy saving behaviour: The relative influence of intentional, situational and habitual processes. Energy Policy, 132, 811-819. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2019.06.048
Van den Broek, K.L. & Walker. I. (2019). Exploring Perceptions of the Drivers of Energy Behaviour. Energy Policy, 129, 1297-1305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2019.03.033
van den Broek, K.L. & Walker. I. (2019). Heuristics in energy judgement tasks. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 62, 95-104. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2019.02.008
- van den Broek, K.L. (2018). Illuminating divergence in perceptions in natural resource management: A case for the investigation of the heterogeneity in mental models. Journal of Dynamic Decision Making, 4, 2. doi:10.11588/10.11588/jddm.2018.1.51316
van den Broek, K.L., Bolderdijk, J.W. & Steg, L. (2017). Individual differences in values determine the relative persuasiveness of biospheric, economic and combined appeals. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 53, 145-156. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvp.2017.07.009
- Van den Broek, K.L., Luomba, J. van den Broek, J. & Fischer, H. (submitted). Paper introducing and validating a mental model elicitation tool for illiterate populations among fishers in Tanzania.
- Van den Broek, K.L. & Fisher, H. (in prep.). Paper investigating fishers’ mental models on fish stock in Tanzania.
- Van den Broek, K.L. & Fisher, H. (in prep.). Paper exploring the role of climate change in fishers’ mental models on fish stock in Tanzania.