Prof. Dr. Axel Dreher
Tel: 06221 54-2921
Fax: 06221 54-3649
Office hour: please arrange per e-mail (office: Oec 2.241)
|Time of Lecture:||Friday, 09:00-10:30 & 11:00-12.30|
|Dates:||April 27th, VG 3.107|
|May 11th, VG 3.107|
|May 25th, VG 3.107|
|June 8th, VG 3.104|
|June 29th, VG 2.107|
|July 20th, VG 2.106|
|Exam:||There will be a 90-minute exam at the end of the term.|
This course gives a broad overview of the various dimensions of globalization. It starts with
discussing the measurement of globalization and then turns to its causes and consequences.
Rather than defining globalization according to the narrow economic definition, this course
takes a broad definition, including topics like development aid, international organizations,
and human trafficking.
I. Measuring Globalization (and its consequences)
- Arribas, Iván, Francisco Pérez and Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2009, Measuring Globalization of International Trade: Theory and Evidence, World Development 37, 1: 127-145.
- Quinn, Dennis, Martin Schindler and A. Maria Toyoda, 2011, Assessing Measures of Financial Openness and Integration, IMF Economic Review 59, 3: 488-522.
- Docquier, Frederic and Hillel Rapoport, 2011, Globalization, Brain Drain, and Development, Journal of Economic Literature, forthcoming.
4. Composite Indices
- Dreher, Axel, Noel Gaston and Pim Martens, 2008, Measuring Globalization: Gauging its Consequences (New York: Springer).
- Hessami, Zohal, 2011, Globalization’s winners and losers—Evidence from life satisfaction data, 1975–2001, Economics Letters 112, 3: 250-253.
II. Movement of Money and Things
- Fuchs, Andreas and Nils-Hendrik Klann, 2011, Paying a Visit: The Dalai Lama Effect on International Trade, cege Discussion Paper 113, University of Goettingen.
- Klein, Michael W., Christoph Moser and Dieter Urban, 2012, The Contribution of Trade to Wage Inequality: The Role of Skill, Gender, and Nationality, update of NBER Working Paper No. 15985.
6. Development Aid
- Boone, Peter, 1994, The impact of foreign aid on savings and growth, Centre for Economic Performance Working Paper No. 677, London School of Economics.
- Burnside, Craig and David Dollar, 2000, Aid, Policies, and Growth, American Economic Review 90: 847-868.
- Clemens, Clemens, Steven Radelet and Rikhil Bhavnani, 2012, Counting chickens when they hatch: The short term effect of aid on growth, Economic Journal, forthcoming.
- Dalgaard, Carl-Johan, Henrik Hansen and Finn Tarp, 2004, On the Empirics of Foreign Aid and Growth, Economic Journal 114: F191-216.
- Doucouliagos, Chris and Martin Paldam, 2009, The Aid Effectiveness Literature – The Sad Result of 40 Years of Research, Journal of Economic Surveys 23, 3: 433-461.
- Easterly, William, Ross Levine and David Roodman, 2004, Aid, Policies, and Growth: Comment (and Reply), American Economic Review 94:774-784.
- Raghuram G. Rajan and Arvind Subramanian, 2008, Aid and Growth: What Does the Cross- Country Evidence Really Show? Review of Economics and Statistics 90, 4: 643-665.
III. Movement of People and Ideas
7. Human Rights and Human Trafficking
- Cho, Seo-Young, Axel Dreher and Eric Neumayer, 2011, The Spread of Anti-trafficking Policies – Evidence from a New Index, cege Discussion Paper 119.
IV. Managing Globalization
8. World Trade Organization
- Rose, Andrew K., 2004, Do We Really Know That the WTO Increases Trade? American Economic Review 94, 1: 98-114.
- Rose, Andrew K., 2004, Do WTO Members have More Liberal Trade Policy? Journal of International Economics 63, 2: 209-235.
- Subramanian, Arvind and Shang-Jin Wei, 2007, The WTO Promotes Trade, Strongly But Unevenly, Journal of International Economics 72, 1: 151-175.
9. International Monetary Fund
- Dreher, Axel, Jan-Egbert Sturm and James Vreeland, 2009, Global Horse Trading: IMF loans for votes in the United Nations Security Council, European Economic Review 53: 742- 757.
- Dreher, Axel and James Vreeland, 2011, Buying Votes and International Organizations, cege Discussion Paper 123.
10. World Bank
- Dollar, David and Jakob Svensson, 2000, What Explains the Success or Failure of Structural Adjustment Programs? Economic Journal 110, 466: 894-917.
- Dreher, Axel, Stephan Klasen, James Vreeland and Eric Werker, 2012, The costs of favouritism: Is politically-driven aid less effective? Economic Development and Cultural Change, forthcoming.
- Dreher, Axel, Jan-Egbert Sturm and James Vreeland, 2009, Development Aid and International Politics: Does membership on the UN Security Council influence World Bank decisions? Journal of Development Economics 88: 1-18.
- Kilby, Christopher, 2011, Assessing the contribution of donor agencies to aid effectiveness – The impact of World Bank preparation on project outcomes, mimeo.