- Volatility Models
- Nonparametric Regression
- Time Series Analysis
- Empirical Finance/Financial Econometrics: Long Term Volatility and Dynamic Correlations, the Risk-Return Relationship, Announcement Effects, Volatility Forecasting
- Monetary Economics: Central Bank Communication, Taylor Rules, Inflation Persistence
- Inflation/Output Uncertainty and Macroeconomic Performance
Heterogeneity in Macroeconomic Expectations: the Role of Individual Historical Experiences, Local Conditions, and Socio-Economic Characteristics, DFG – Priority Programme 1859 "Experience and Expectation. Historical Foundations of Economic Behaviour", 04/2019 – 03/2022.
Network-based analysis and exploration of financial markets, Marsilius Fellow, 04/2017 - 03/2018
Macroeconomic announcements and the term structure of VIX futures, Mobility Programme, 03/2016 – 09/2017.
Macro-Risk Assessment and Stabilization Policies with New Early Warning Signals (RASTANEWS), Collaborative Project within the 7th Framework Programme of the European Community, 02/2013 - 02/2016.
Determinants and modelling of inflation uncertainty during the financial- and sovereign debt crisis, Fritz Thyssen Stiftung, 10/2013 - 10/2015.
Long-Term Financial Volatility and Dynamic Correlations, Juniorprofessoren-Programm des Landes Baden-Württemberg, 10/2010 - 03/2014.
- Conrad, C., and M. Schienle (2020). "Testing for an omitted multiplicative long-term component in GARCH models." Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, 38, 229-242. Supplemental Material.
- Conrad, C., and O. Kleen (2019). “Two are better than one: Volatility forecasting using multiplicative component GARCH-MIDAS models.” Journal of Applied Econometrics, forthcoming. Supplemental Material.
- Conrad, C. and O. Kleen (2016). "On the statistical properties of multiplicative GARCH models." University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, Discussion Paper No. 613.
- Conrad, C., and E. Mammen (2016). "Asymptotics for parametric GARCH-in-mean models." Journal of Econometrics, 194, 319-329.
- Conrad, C., and M. Karanasos (2015). "On the transmission of memory in GARCH-in-mean models." Journal of Time Series Analysis, 36, 706-720.
- Conrad, C., and Weber, E. (2013). "Measuring persistence in volatility spillovers." University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, Discussion Paper No. 543.
- Conrad, C. (2010). "Non-negativity conditions for the hyperbolic GARCH model.'' Journal of Econometrics, 157, 441-457.
- Conrad, C., and M. Karanasos (2010). "Negative volatility spillovers in the unrestricted ECCC-GARCH model.'' Econometric Theory, 26, 838-862.
- Conrad, C., and E. Mammen (2009). "Nonparametric regression on latent covariates with an application
to semiparametric GARCH-in-Mean models." University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, Discussion Paper No. 473.
- Conrad, C., and B. R. Haag (2006). "Inequality constraints in the fractionally integrated GARCH model." Journal of Financial Econometrics, 4, 413-449.
- Conrad, C., and M. Karanasos (2006). "The impulse response function of the long memory GARCH process." Economics Letters, 90, 34-41.
Empirical Finance/Financial Econometrics
Conrad, C., and Glas, A. (2018). "'Déjà vol' revisited: Survey forecasts of macroeconomic variables predict volatility in the cross-section of industry portfolios." Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=3186567.
- Conrad, C., A. Custovic, and E. Ghysels (2018). "Long- and short-term cryptocurrency volatility components: A GARCH-MIDAS analysis." Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 11, 23.
- Conrad, C., and K. Stürmer (2017) "On the economic determinants of optimal stock-bond portfolios: International evidence" University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, Discussion Paper Series No. 636.
- Conrad, C., and K. Zumbach (2016)."The effect of political communication on European financial markets during the sovereign debt crisis." Journal of Empirical Finance, 39, 209-214.
- Conrad, C., and K. Loch (2015). "The variance risk premium and fundamental uncertainty." Economics Letters,132, 56-60.
- Conrad, C., and K. Loch (2015). "Anticipating long-term stock market volatility." Journal of Applied Econometrics, 30, 1090-1114 Supplemental Material.
- Conrad, C., K. Loch, and D. Rittler (2014). "On the macroeconomic determinants of long-term volatilities and correlations in U.S. stock and crude oil markets." Journal of Empirical Finance, 29, 26-40.
- Conrad, C., D. Rittler, and W. Rotfuß (2012). "Modeling and explaining the dynamics of European Union Allowance prices at high-frequency." Energy Economics, 34, 316-326.
- Conrad, C., M. Karanasos, and N. Zeng (2011). "Multivariate fractionally integrated APARCH modelling of stock market volatility: a multi-country study." Journal of Empirical Finance, 18, 147-159.
- Conrad, C., D. Rittler, and W. Rotfuß (2009). "The European Commission and EUA prices: a high-frequency analysis of the EC's decisions on second NAPs." ZEW Discussion Paper No. 09-045.
- Conrad, C., F. Jiang, and M. Karanasos (2004). "Modelling and predicting exchange rate volatility via power ARCH models: the role of long-memory." Working Paper, University of Mannheim.
- Conrad, C., and T. A. Eife (2012). "Explaining inflation-gap persistence by a time-varying Taylor rule." Journal of Macroeconomics, 34, 419-428.
- Conrad, C., and M. J. Lamla (2010). "The high-frequency response of the EUR-USD exchange rate to ECB communication.'' Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 42, 1391-1417.
- Conrad, C., and M. J. Lamla (2007). "An den Lippen der EZB - Der KOF Monetary Policy Communicator.'' KOF Analysen, Winter 2007/2008, 33-45.
Inflation/Output Uncertainty and Macroeconomic Performance
- Conrad, C. and M. Hartmann (2019). "On the determinants of long-run inflation uncertainty: Evidence from a panel of 17 developed economies." European Journal of Political Economy, 56, 233-250.
- Conrad, C., and M. Karanasos (2015). "Modeling the link between US inflation and output: the importance of the uncertainty channel." Scottish Journal of Political Economy, 62, 431-453.
- Conrad, C., M. Karanasos, and N. Zeng (2010). "The link between macroeconomic performance and variability in the UK." Economics Letters, 106, 154-157.
- Conrad, C., and M. Karanasos (2005). "Dual long memory in inflation dynamics across countries of the Euro area and the link between inflation uncertainty and macroeconomic performance." Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics, 9(4), Article 5.
- Conrad, C., and M. Karanasos (2005). "On the inflation-uncertainty hypothesis in the USA, Japan and the UK: a dual long memory approach." Japan and the World Economy, 17, 327-343.
- Trautmann, S., and C. Conrad (2019). “Book Review: A Crisis of Beliefs – Investor Psychology and Financial Fragility, Nicola Gennaioli and Andrej Shleifer.” Journal of Economic Psychology, forthcoming.