Prof. Dr. Madeleine Herren-Oesch
Department of Modern History
Since April 2013 Prof. Dr. Madeleine Herren is Director of the Centre for Advanced European-Global Studies Basel.
Research focuses on boundaries and their transgression, on concepts of the mutual influence of global, local and national actors, and on the transfer of knowledge and information:
- European history and global history of the 19th and 20th century
- The history of international organisations, the League of Nations and the United Nations
- Internationalism and 19th century foreign policy networks, soft power and public diplomacy
- The historical development of transboundary networks and international civil society
- Historiography and historical methods
- Encyclopaedias, knowledge transfer and information cultures
A summary of ongoing and completed research projects can be found here.