Foreign Exchange Programmes

Work Placements via the Erasmus Placement Programme
Erasmus Study Exchanges
Partner Universities

Whilst foreign exchanges are without a doubt an enriching experience for anyone, they are vital for translators and interpreters. The Institute for Translation and Interpreting works in close contact with numerous foreign universities. The Work Placement Centre also provides guidance for students searching for suitable work placements abroad.

There are different funding options available to students at the IÜD who wish to participate in foreign exchange programmes. The ERASMUS and CIUTI programmes are specifically related to a student's respective course of study.

Denys Rudyi - Fotolia Com Ausland

​These foreign exchange programmes are coordinated directly by their departmental advisors. Information on the CIUTI partner universities can be found on the association's homepage. There are also other exchange programmes coordinated by the International Relations Office. You can find information about these programmes and the specific application forms on their website.

Erasmus - Work Placements and Study Abroad

General Information

As long as you are registered as a full-time student, you have the possibility to spend twelve months during each successive degree programme (Bachelor, Master, Ph.D.) participating in Erasmus study exchange programmes (of at least three months) or Erasmus work placements (of at least two months). You may study at multiple universities in different countries or in the same country.


Work Placements via the Erasmus Placement Programme

You can apply for funding up to two days before the start of your work placement.

Erasmus work placements can also be funded or completed in the year following the completion of your degree programme, provided that you submit your application during the previous academic year.

The Work Placement Centre provides additional information about work placement opportunities and the Erasmus Placement Programme.


Erasmus Study Exchanges

Students enrolled in a Bachelor programme are currently able to complete one or more foreign exchange programmes in the third, fourth or, in some cases, fifth semester without having to add an additional semester to the standard period of study. If your application is accepted in the final year of the Bachelor programme and you enrol in a Master programme in Heidelberg, you can also take part in a foreign exchange in the first year of your Master's programme. In this case, the period of the Erasmus study exchange counts towards the Master programme and not the Bachelor. If you submit your application in the first semester of your master, your final examinations will be postponed accordingly.

Applying for an Erasmus Study Exchange

You can apply for an Erasmus grant at any time. Simply choose the institution where you would like to study in the country of your choice and a back-up option from our list of partner universities. You can either choose to spend two semesters at the same institution or one semester each at two different institutions (see above).

The application form should be filled out and handed in to the person responsible for Erasmus applications in the corresponding department. You can download the form from our Formular-Center. You can find the list of our partner institutions at the bottom of the page.

The deadline for applications is the second-to-last Friday in January every year. Thereafter the decisions will be made regarding the awarding of funds for the upcoming academic year. If your application is accepted, you will receive an award letter by the end of February; if it is declined, you will receive a letter explaining why it has not been accepted. The selection process is based on the following criteria: reliability and motivation as well as academic achievements.

Next steps

Successful applicants will receive a link to an online confirmation form. This must be filled out and handed in to your departmental coordinator by the end of March. You should also present the Learning Agreement to your departmental coordinator and discuss it with them by the end of June.


You can still sit examinations at the IÜD while you are abroad. However, you cannot attend classes. If you have any queries, please consult the examination office for advice.

Before filling out the Learning Agreement, you should meet with the departmental advisors and coordinators for both of the languages you study in order to organise any additional exams or to reschedule certain courses if there is no creditable equivalent course offered at the foreign university.


Partner Universities

English-speaking Countries

Coordinator in the English Department:

Neil Vandermark
Tel. +49 6221 54 7232

Fax +49 6221 54 7561


United Kingdom




French-speaking Countries

Coordinator in the French Department:

Brigitte Frelet
Tel. +49 6221 54 7221
Fax +49 6221 54 7261






Italian-speaking Countries

Coordinator in the Italian Department:

Eva Lanzi
Tel. +49 6221 54 7224
Fax +49 6221 54 7561





Portuguese-speaking Countries

Coordinator in the Portuguese-Brazilian Department:

Filomena Sousa Alberti
Tel. +49 6221 54 7576
Fax +49 6221 54 7561



Erasmus coordinator:

Prof. Dr. Sybille Große (Department of Romance Languages)
Tel. +49 6221 54 2747
Fax +49 6221 54 3594



Exchange coordinator:

Frau Nicoline Dorn
Tel. +49 6221 54 2490


International Relations Office


Russian-speaking Countries

Coordinator in the Russian Department:

Nicola Fath
Tel. +49 6221 54 7415
Fax +49 6221 54 7561




Spanish-speaking Countries

Coordinator in the Spanish Department:

Juan Fernández-Nespral
Tel. +49 6221 54 7249

Fax +49 6221 54 7561

Email juan.ferná



Responsible: Webmaster
Latest Revision: 2018-03-23
zum Seitenanfang/up