Call for Proposals
Enhancing International Exchange:
International Guest Professors
Application deadline: June 30, 2017
The project “Enhancing International Exchange” is part of the Institutional Strategy of Heidelberg University in the Excellence Initiative. The project includes a funding line for international guest professors to stay at Heidelberg University. The objective of this funding line is to bring expert knowledge of renowned international academics to Heidelberg University, to increase and complement the research potential in certain fields, and to extend and internationalize the range of research-based study courses.
Funding can be used for
- one-time stays of foreign guest professors at Heidelberg University for a period of two to ten months,
- recurring stays of foreign guest professors at Heidelberg University for a period of two to six months per year over several years (only for the period of the transitional funding from November 1, 2017, until October 31, 2019 ).
Guest professors are expected to contribute to research-based teaching during their stay at Heidelberg University; different formats are possible: regular courses, guest lectures, colloquia, workshops with graduate students.
The funding amount varies in accordance with the duration of stay (maximum funding € 80.000 p.a.).
It can be used for:
- salary for the guest professor (by employment contract or research fellowship; the type of compensation will be determined on an individual basis)
- travel costs
- tangible means (e.g. for research assistants, workshops etc.)
Please take notice of the Guidelines for Calculation of Costs (PDF).
Proposals may be submitted by departments (via the respective faculty) and faculties of Heidelberg University. The host institutions commit themselves to providing an adequately equipped workplace for the guest professor.
Proposals should be limited to five pages (11 pt. font size, 1.5 line spacing) and should be structured as follows:
- general information about
- the institution submitting the proposal
- the candidate for the guest professorship
- the candidate’s home institution
- the time and duration of the guest professorship
- work programme at Heidelberg University
- tasks in research and teaching
- added value for the department / faculty and for Heidelberg University
- candidate’s qualifications
- core areas in research and teaching
- appraisal of academic performance
- cost plan
Please attach the following documents:
- curriculum vitae of the candidate
- list of publications
- list of prizes and other references
- list of taught courses
Proposals for the funding period should be submitted via email (one single pdf file) to the Director of the International Relations Office, Dr. Joachim Gerke, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application deadline: June 30, 2017.
The proposals will be evaluated and selected by a commission chaired by the Vice-Rector for International Affairs.