Service and AdviceCoronavirus: FAQs about student affairs and teaching

6 October 2022

Just as in the last two semesters, activities in the 2022/2023 winter semester will, in principle, take place on campus.

For all classes, examinations etc. and circulation areas around degree-related activities the following applies until further notice:

  • Students are urgently recommended to wear a medical mask or an FFP2 mask
  • Wearing at least a surgical mask is mandatory for all other persons present, including teachers, if they cannot maintain the minimum distance inside the university buildings

Vaccination opportunities

*Update* In cooperation with the Student Services Organisation (Studierendenwerk), Heidelberg University offers weekly vaccination opportunities – initially until 13 December 2022. These are available to all members of the university, and particularly to students. The details will be posted on the university website. In addition, there are many opportunities for appointments in the offices of family doctors, both for basic immunisation and for boosters. Furthermore, mobile vaccination teams operate every so often in Heidelberg and surrounding areas.

General Arrangements

What do I have to watch out for when I enter university facilities or events?

The central measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus remain the obligatory distance of 1.5 metres to other persons, adequate ventilation in the buildings as well as the general hygiene rules (disinfection, hand hygiene etc.). Persons who are in officially ordered quarantine, are prohibited from entering university grounds.

In all university premises, those present are still obliged to wear a surgical mask or an FFP2 mask if they cannot respect the minimum distance of 1.5 meters to each other. For students, this rule applies only as an urgent recommendation

Will my contact details be recorded when I visit university premises and attend events?

No, the Coronavirus Ordinances no longer provide for a pandemic-related recording of contact details.

Degree-related activities

Extended regular course length

For all students enrolled in Baden-Württemberg in the summer semester 2020, winter semester 2020/21 and summer semester 2021, the individual regular course length will be extended by the appropriate number of semester. For students enrolled in these semesters, the maximum length for receiving a student grant will then rise by the relevant number of semesters for all courses of study.

2022/2023 winter semester

Also in this semester, Heidelberg University offers as many lectures and classes on campus as possible and only continues with online teaching formats as a supplementary measure.

How can I reach contact persons at present to ask questions about the topic of my study course?

The university administration offers the full range of services.

The Service Portal is the first port of call for information and advisory services provided by the student administration staff and course advisers for German and international students.

You can reach us by phone from Monday to Thursday between 9am and 4pm and on Fridays between 9am and 1pm on +49 6221 54-5454 and by email at studium@uni-heidelberg.de and during the personal consultation hours
Monday to Thursday, 10:00-16:00, and Friday, 10:00-14:00.


What is to be done if a university student develops typical Covid symptoms, tests positive or is classified as a close contact person?

The university has drafted recommendations for action for students and lecturers. However, the university will generally no longer trace contacts. Moreover, it only recommends that, if possible, close contact persons reduce their personal contacts for a while.

Lectures, seminars and internships

How will lectures, seminars and practicals take place?

Classes and events in the context of Student Affairs and Teaching generally take place on campus in the 2022/2023 winter semester with supplementary online formats. Please keep checking the websites in your study course or subjects, as well as the information in LSF.

Can international students come to Heidelberg University?

Heidelberg University is an international university and explicitly invites students from Europe and the world to enrol. They should, however, respect applicable travel regulations.

What can I do if my internship is not possible, although required by the examination regulations?

Should current circumstances still make it difficult to complete internships at home and abroad, it may be possible to submit proof of achievement in another format as long as this meets the substantive subject requirements. Please talk to your academic advisor and/or your examinations office about this.

Can laboratory practicals be held?

Laboratory practicals can be carried out.  It is generally mandatory to wear an FFP2 mask or a surgical mask in all university rooms where the minimum distance of 1.5 m cannot be maintained.  This rule applies to students alone in the form of an urgent recommendation.

Can excursions take place?

Student excursions at home and abroad that urgently have to be held (curricular classes such as field trips, archaeological digs) may go ahead as long as all participants obey  the local Covid regulations.

I am a teacher and would like to organise an on-campus practice teaching session. Do I need to note anything special?

You have to respect the university’s hygiene protocol and there must be a risk assessment for decentralised rooms. The lecture halls and seminar rooms allocated centrally already have a hygiene protocol and a risk assessment.

The need for a 3G check on vaccination documents was abolished on 3 April 2022 and is therefore no longer permitted on data protection grounds.

At the same time, students are urgently recommended to continue wearing a surgical mask or an FFP2 mask in the university buildings until further notice. All others present must still wear a mask inside buildings if they cannot maintain the necessary distance.

I am a teacher and would like to hold an on-campus class at which, in view of the expected numbers attending, I can’t guarantee that they will be able to keep the minimum distance to one another in the room. How is that possible?

There is no longer any capacity-related limit on the numbers in lecture halls and university premises. Please note, however, that if the minimum distance cannot be respected in closed areas, it is also mandatory to wear a mask during classes or events.

Examination and course requirements

Will examinations be conducted?

Examinations will be conducted in principle with personal presence. In-person examinations will be held in compliance with the relevant rules for protecting against infection and for occupational safety. A hygiene plan and risk assessment must be available in each case.

In the case of on-campus examinations, since 3 April at least a surgical mask must be worn throughout by all participants if the minimum distance cannot be maintained in the building. Students are the only exception to this requirement, for whom it applies as an urgent recommendation.The faculty or the persons responsible for the examination shall guarantee the compliance with applicable infection protection rules and respect for the requirements of the Coronavirus Ordinance.

How do I contact the examination offices?

The examination offices are available by phone or email during the usual office hours.

How can I submit exam papers and coursework?

Please submit all written exam and study assessment work to the respective examinations office or teaching staff.

I am a teacher and would like to conduct an examination. What new rules are there?

The State Higher Education Act (LHG) has made provision for online examinations and their special requirements (§§ 32a, 32b LHG).  BUT PLEASE NOTE: The holding of online examinations is only admissible if this is laid down in the respective examination regulations or in another university statute.

  • Oral examinations may be held as video conferences. Please make sure that the technical equipment is stable and give the examinees the opportunity to test the digital facilities beforehand. Before signing up, students must be informed about the organisational conditions and the closing date for registering. Furthermore, it must be clearly announced before the examination at what point it will be discontinued in the event of a technical disorder and what consequences will then arise (e.g. will the exam just be interrupted or need to be repeated?). Making a recording of the examination is inadmissible. The students’ identity can be checked by their showing a photo or student identity card at the start of the exam.
  • Online video examinations that are not held on the university premises are voluntary and subject to the students’ agreement, i.e. a parallel offer of an on-campus examination must be kept ready, in order to give them a choice of options.
  • In view of the high amount of organisation needed, the legislator advises against written examinations with video supervision. As compared with “open book exams” (writing exam papers with resources to hand), they offer no advantage relative to securing against deception and legal, technical and staffing considerations prevent their being implemented appropriately at present. “Open book exams” can e.g. be organised in various ways via Moodle.

Furthermore, compliance is required for the standardised hygiene rules for examinations.

What should be noted if students cannot arrive in time, or at all, for an on-campus examination for reasons connected with the pandemic?

If students cannot make it back from abroad for an on-campus examination, that must be examined individually in the light of the examination rules. Ideally, the dates and formats of examinations will be announced in good time to allow for compliance with entry and quarantine regulations.

Where can examinations be conducted?

Examinations can be conducted in the examination centres set up for this purpose or in the institutes’ own premises after taking precautions against the spread of the coronavirus. There must be a hygiene plan and a risk assessment; furthermore, attendance lists must be kept and duly retained. You will find all important information on the pages of the examination centres.

What should I do if I suddenly have symptoms of COVID-19 on the day of the examination?

In this case you must immediately notify the examiner/Examination Board that you wish to withdraw from the examination. Then you must present a doctor’s certificate without delay. The Examination Board will decide on the basis of the evidence and circumstances of the individual case whether the withdrawal is granted.

What must I do if I suddenly feel ill during the examination?

You must immediately notify the examiner/Examination Board that you wish to withdraw from the examination. Then you must present a doctor’s certificate without delay. The Examination Board will decide on the basis of the evidence and circumstances of the individual case whether the withdrawal is granted.

What do I do if before the examination or on the day of the examination I feel that I am not up to the strain of the present coronavirus situation and my ability to perform is reduced?

Here too it is possible to withdraw from the examination. The withdrawal must then be notified without delay to the examiner/Examination Board. A doctor’s certificate must likewise be presented. The Examination Board will decide on the basis of the evidence and circumstances of the individual case whether the withdrawal is granted.

In addition, please take note of the recommendation for action for students who contract COVID-19, or are suspected of being infected with it.

Questions specific to teacher training

To answer all questions specific to teacher training, the Heidelberg School of Education (HSE) has set up a special page that contains all official information and is regularly updated. Please consult this website for updates on the information below.

Further information on this topic can also be found on the FAQ page of the Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Education.

Registration, deregistration and leave of absence

What registration deadlines apply for current semester?

Registration deadlines for the winter semester can be found on the Student Affairs websites under registration deadlines.

How can I register, deregister or apply for leave of absence?

Applications may be submitted in writing. Further information can be found on the study pages.

On its website the International Study Centre has posted up-to-date information about the DSH (German language exam for university access) and the admission exams for pre-programme studies.

I am enrolled in a programme of scientific continuing education. Where can I find further information?

The general measures and arrangements also apply for scientific continuing education. The colleagues there will give additional information and name people to approach if you have more specific questions.

How can I pay my re-enrolment or tuition fees?

Please transfer your fees (semester contribution, tuition fees) to re-enroll (continue your studies) to the bank account below.

Baden-Württembergische Bank, Stuttgart
IBAN: DE28 6005 0101 0004 9617 81
Purpose: Enrolment no. and surname, first name 

How and when can I get my student ID card and my Uni ID?

Your student ID card and Uni ID will be sent to you by post. In exceptional cases the Uni ID can be conveyed by other means that are legally safe. Approach the student administration about that.

Where can I validate my student ID card now?

The validation machines are accessible during regular opening hours. The validation machines in the building Seminarstraße 2 (Carolinum) are located on the ground floor, left in front of the service portal.

How can we currently obtain the discharge note from the University Library needed for the confirmation of deregistration?

Students can currently send in their applications for deregistration to the Student Administration without the discharge note from the University Library. The Student Administration staff will ask the University Library directly to grant the discharge.

I have been officially deregistered, what must I do?

Please call the Infotelefon +49 6221 54-5454 to tell the Student Administration or International Office if you wish to continue your studies. 

Study abroad and ERASMUS

Is study abroad still possible as part of my degree course?

Current announcements on exchange programmes for the 2021/22 academic year are published on the website of the International Relations Division.

All students are urgently advised to follow the travel advice of the Federal Foreign Office. If you have doubts or inquiries please approach the coordinator of your exchange programme in the International Relations Division. Furthermore, we strongly recommend that, before their study abroad, all Heidelberg students register with ELEFAND (electronic list of Germans abroad), which is a precautionary list kept by the Federal Foreign Office for use in the event of a crisis.

What should I do if I have to terminate my Erasmus studies?

We need (by email) a certificate of attendance from the host university and a written statement, detailing why the Erasmus studies cannot be continued in a reasonable manner. The Erasmus scholarship will only be granted for the period of physical stay in the host country for study purposes.

Can I also continue the semester online from home?

If the host university offers this possibility, yes. The attendance certificate is evidence of the whole duration of your study period at the host university, if applicable including online periods. The Erasmus scholarship will only be granted for the period of physical stay in the host country for study purposes.

University Library, institute and departmental libraries

The University Library and its branches are open at the regular hours. The opportunities for use are oriented to the conditions of the latest Coronavirus Ordinance and the local situation. Please consult the websites of the respective libraries.

All digital offerings of the University Library continue to be available as usual. All members of the university may order media from the University Library for postal delivery (the cost of postage being covered by the person placing the order). In addition, the library has enormously expanded its collection of e-books for students and teachers. Many publishing houses are supporting Heidelberg University during the coronavirus pandemic by activating additional or so far unlicensed content.

Social care services and funding

What assistance and support is there at the university?

The Corona pandemic is still confronting us with challenges and influencing our daily life and studies. Studying looks different at this time but does not need to become a crisis! There are a host of support programmes available to meet these challenges.

To whom can I turn with questions about financing my studies, paying my rent or if I have psychological problems?

The student services organisation (Studierendenwerk) Heidelberg offers advice and support on all questions relative to the coronavirus crisis regarding student grants (BAföG) and financing your studies. It is responsible for issues connected to accommodation and leases in student residences of the Studierendenwerk. Its services also include assistance with psychological problems or emotional stress.

Social engagement

I would like to offer my help. As a student, how can I contribute to coping with the present coronavirus crisis?

The Heidelberg Medical Faculty is currently coordinating the deployment of volunteers. In demand are medical students or people with nursing or paramedic training. The procedure is being coordinated by the Office of the Dean of Studies, and the contact persons are  Abra.Tsolenyanu @ med.uni-heidelberg.de and Florian.Schuhmacher @ med.uni-heidelberg.de.

Students with previous health-care experience can register on the website “match4healthcare”. Across the country, this online tool will refer them to hospitals, health authorities and many other institutions. It also covers the Medical Faculty Mannheim (UMM) and its teaching hospitals.

Students without previous health-care experience can consult the websites of the City of Heidelberg and the City of Mannheim, which have posted a compilation of numerous initiatives supporting volunteers in offering their assistance.