Contributions and FeesTuition fees for international students
International students from non-EU (European Union) and non-EEA (European Economic Area - Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway) countries with a foreign university entrance qualification will be required to pay a tuition fee of EUR 1500 per semester.
Starting in the winter semester 2017/18, international students from non-EU (European Union) and non-EEA (European Economic Area - Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway) countries with a foreign university entrance qualification will be required to pay a tuition fee of EUR 1500 per semester for Bachelor’s/Staatsexamen and consecutive Master’s degree programmes at all institutions of higher education in Baden-Württemberg (Germany).
Students from EU and EEA member states, as well as international students with a German university entrance qualification are exempt from these tuition fees.
Furthermore, this regulation only applies to students who intend to start their degree programme in the winter semester 2017/18 or those who intend to change their (entire) degree programme or institution of higher education. Students who were already enrolled at Heidelberg University in the summer semester 2017, and intend to continue in the same degree programme in the winter semester 2017/18 are exempt from these tuition fees. In this case, the grandfather clause will apply. A component of the previous degree programme may be changed once without incurring an obligation to pay tuition fees.
International students who come to Heidelberg University from a different institution of higher education will be subject to tuition fees at Heidelberg University.
Exceptions for payment obligation
In a small number of cases, the law on tuition fees for international students provides for certain exceptions. These exceptions are outlined under § 5 of the Higher Education Fees Act (Landeshochschulgebührengesetz - LHGebG).
If one of these cases applies to you, you are required to submit the respective verifying documents to the International Relations Office within the given deadline in order to be exempt from the obligation to pay tuition fees for the duration of your degree programme. The information required for tuition fee exemption for international students must be provided in an information sheet that will be sent to you with your letter of admission or issued with your enrolment or change of degree programme certificate.
All cases in which students are exempt from paying tuition fees are defined in the legal text. It can be accessed on the website of the Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts (Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst).
Tuition fee exemption
In a small number of cases, international students may be exempt from tuition fees. The reasons for exemption are detailed under § 6 of the Higher Education Fees Act (Landeshochschulgebührengesetz - LHGebG).
Depending on the reason, exemptions may be issued for one semester or for the standard period of study of the degree programme.
International students with
- permission to reside (Aufenthaltsgestattung) in accordance with § 55, paragraph 1 of the Asylum Law (Asylgesetz), with a Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) protection rate (Schutzquote) of 50% or more or
- a disability in accordance with § 2 of the Ninth Book of the German Social Welfare Code (Neuntes Buch Sozialgesetzbuch) that considerably affects their ability to study
may apply for exemption from the obligation to pay tuition fees for the standard period of study of their degree programme.
Students may apply for tuition fee exemption in the case of a
- leave of absence in accordance with § 61 of the Act on Higher Education of the Land of Baden-Württemberg (Landeshochschulgesetz - LHG) or
- practical year in accordance with § 1, paragraph 2, clause 1, item 1 of the Licensing Act for Doctors (Approbationsordnung für Ärzte) or
- practical semester in accordance with § 29, paragraph 3, clause 2 of the Act on Higher Education of the Land of Baden-Württemberg
for the duration of the aforementioned reason. After that period, students will be required to pay tuition fees again.
In addition, the institutions of higher education are authorised to exempt up to 5% of international students from their obligation to pay tuition fees. In this case, the respective Heidelberg University charter is also based on § 6 of the Higher Education Fees Act. It states that students who start their first semester of a study programme at Heidelberg University can apply for exemption from tuition fees within the quota the Ministry of Science, Research and Art has designated.Please refer to the charter as well as the application form for information about application deadlines and required documents.
deadline for exemption from tuition fees
The application deadline for exemption from tuition fees in accordance with Heidelberg University's regulations is 15 July for the following winter semester and 15 January for the following summer semester.
On the application form, you will find further information about the supporting documents that need to be submitted.
If the application period for the degree programme you have chosen ends before 15 July or 15 January (e.g. Master's degree programmes), you can submit the application for exemption from tuition fees together with the application for admission to the degree programme.
In this case, please note that the decisions on individual exemption cases will be taken after the general deadline (15 July or 15 Janary respectively).
You will be notified of the decision taken on whether you will be exempt from paying tuition fees in August or in March accordingly.
Waiver of tuition fees in summer semester 2020 and winter semester 2020/21
If international students find that their studies have been detrimentally impacted by restrictions enforced due to the coronavirus pandemic, to the extent that the payment of tuition fees would constitute an instance of “undue hardship”, they may submit an application for a waiver of tuition fees to Heidelberg University (due to „unforeseeable financial difficulties“ in accordance with § 7 LHGebG or due to „undue hardship“ in accordance with § 22 Abs. 2 LGebG). Applications for the current summer semester 2020 can be made for a waiver of tuition fees in the following circumstances:
- as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and through no fault of your own, you have lost a source of income and found yourself in unforeseeable financial difficulties (e.g. because your student job or part-time work is no longer available, or because your parents, who are financing your studies, are no longer able to work as a result of the pandemic). (Please note: § 7 LHGebG does not apply, if unforeseeable financial difficulties only occured after the payment of the tuition fees for international students.),
- the coronavirus means that you are unable to travel to Germany for the summer semester 2020, and are unable to participate in the online sessions provided by the University,
- you are beginning your course of study in the summer semester 2020 and due to corona, are unable to travel to Germany and therefore take part in examinations and sessions for which in-person attendance is required (such as practical lab sessions),
- as a result of examinations being cancelled, you have unexpectedly been required to re-register for a further semester,
- you are unable to gain the required credits in the summer semester due to changes in circumstance, for example, the closure of laboratories, childcare or schools and the resulting need to care for a child/children.
Applications can only ever be submitted for the current semester. Applications for a waiver of tuition fees for the current summer semester 2020 must be submitted by 30 June 2020 and by 15 December 2020 for the winter semester.
Please submit both of the forms, the Application and the Attachment.
Please note: in accordance with § 6, paragraph 2, item 1 of the State Higher Education Fees Act (Landeshochschulgebührengesetz - LHGebG), international students who are taking a leave of absence are not required to pay tuition fees. Students may submit applications for a leave of absence to the International Students Office by the relevant deadline.