EU/EEC CITIZENS OR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS WITH A GERMAN UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE QUALIFICATIONAPPLICATION DOCUMENTS for ENROLMENT in HIGHER ACADEMIC SEMESTERS
When applying for a higher semester of an undergraduate degree programme (students changing university locations and students changing degree programmes), a number of different documents must be submitted.
Transfer students and students changing degree programmes to a degree programme with admission restrictions must use the online application portal. Please print out and submit the complete application form (PDF of the online application). Be sure to sign and date the form.
Transfer students and students changing degree programmes to a degree programme without admission restrictions may not use the online application portal. They must submit the application for admission for international students. The application form must be downloaded, completed and signed.
In both cases, the following documents are required to be submitted with the appropriate application for admission. They must be sent by post or submitted in person during office hours to the Admissions Office for International Students, prior to the application deadline. (Address: Universität Heidelberg, Dezernat Internationale Beziehungen, Zulassungsstelle für ausländische Studierende, Seminarstraße 2, D – 69117 Heidelberg). The documents must be received by the University by 15 January for the following summer semester and by 15 July for the following winter semester. Application dossiers or single documents reaching the university after the deadline cannot be considered in the admission process:
- Officially certified copy of the applicant’s school leaving certificate, or qualification for university entrance in the applicant’s home country (e.g. Abitur, Baccalauréat, GCE - A&O-Levels, School Leaving Certificate etc.). This must include a list of the individual grades earned. If original documents are not available in English or German, applicants must also provide a certified translation into German or English.
The German university entrance qualification (Abitur) does not need to be an officially-certified copy.
- Where applicable: An officially certified copy of the applicant’s certificate of completion of a preparatory German language course, including successful completion of the “Feststellungsprüfung” (assessment test to determine the eligibility of non-German applicants for studies at institutions of higher education in Germany). The corresponding list of grades must also be included.
- Where applicable: Officially certified copies of certificates or diplomas proving successful completion of any university admission examinations taken outside of Germany. This must include a list of the individual grades earned and the letter of admission from the non-German university. If original documents are not available in English or German, applicants must also provide a certified translation into German or English.
- Officially certified copies of all university transcripts of records for each semester or year of study. If the applicant has previously completed a degree, an officially certified copy of the university diploma. If original documents are not available in English or German, applicants must also provide a certified translation into German or English. If a university transcript of records is not available by the application deadline, it can be handed in until four weeks after the application deadline.
- For any degree programmes completed or currently being pursued at German universities, certificates of enrolment or other relevant documents that indicate the subject studied, the semester of study, and the type of degree being pursued must be submitted.
- Certificate from the appropriate examination office at the home university stating that the entitlement to take examinations in the desired subject or a closely related subject has not been revoked, whether for individual course examinations or for preliminary, intermediate, or final examinations. If original documents are not available in English or German, applicants must also provide a certified translation into German or English.
- Proof of German language proficiency (uncertified copy). In order to complete the German language test for admission to universities (DSH) at Heidelberg University, students must provide written proof of completion of at least 1,000 - 1,200 hours of German language instruction at a recognised institution.
- Uncertified copy of the applicant’s passport (page with name in Latin script). Applicants from EU/EEA member states may alternatively submit a copy of their personal identity card.
- When transferring to Heidelberg University from a non-German university or from another university in Germany: Certificate of transferable grades/accreditation certificate from the departmental examination office or the departmental academic advisory service at Heidelberg University or, for applicants to programmes in Medicine, Pharmacy, or Dentistry, the designated state examination office. If the accreditation certificate is not available by the application deadline, it can be handed in until four weeks after the application deadline.
- For students changing universities or degree programmes and applying for a degree programme in Sports Science: Copy of the sports entrance examination issued by the Institute for Sport and Sports Science at Heidelberg University or the recognition of this examination, or a certificate of exemption.
Students changing degree programmes who are simultaneously applying for admission to the first semester and to a higher semester of a degree programme are required to submit two copies of each required document to the university prior to the application deadline. This requires two complete sets of application documents to be submitted.