For all degree programmes or subjects with admission restrictions and without admission restrictions in the higher semester, an application must be submitted in due time before enrolment. After receiving a letter of admission, you can enrol at Heidelberg University within the set enrolement deadlines. 

Please find out in advance whether your desired subject is admission-restricted beyond the first semester at Heidelberg University. 

Find your subject!

Once you have been admitted, you will be asked in your heiCO account to accept the study place within the deadline indicated there. If you do not accept the study place by the deadline, your entitlement to the study place will expire. You then apply for enrolment online and by submitting documents by post to the Student Administration Office within the enrolment period specified in the letter of admission. 
If you were unable to submit the DSH evidence required for your degree programme in your application already, you need to document it at the latest at the time of your registration. If the DSH examination is not passed or not passed on the required level, and if there is no exemption on a statutory basis, registration for the degree programme named in the letter of admission must be refused. 
Please note that online enrolment is not (yet) available for enrolment after an exchange of university places. 





  • Have your health insurance details ready and complete them in your heiCO portal.
    Your insurance status is generally transmitted electronically. In addition to entering your data in heiCO, you must always contact a statutory German health insurance company - even if you are privately insured or have a European Health Insurance Card, for example. Please request the “Notification reason M10 for Heidelberg University” from the statutory health insurance company under the university number H0003588. The transmission of your insurance status to Heidelberg University takes up to 5 working days, so please request this notification reason M10 in good time. Enrollment cannot take place without this proof. 
    In return, the University will notify the health insurance companies of the start and - later - the end of your studies. 
    Notice: If the information for your health insurance has changed between your input in the application process and the report provided by your health insurance (or if you made a mistake while entering the details), the M10 report will overwrite your previous input. You will not need to request correction of the information provided in the application process from us the university. 
  •  Add any further data relevant for your enrolment under “Enrolment – Next steps” in your heiCO account. This will give you access to your application for enrolment. Print out the enrolment application provided in your heiCO account, sign it and upload the signed enrolment application to the heiCO portal. In addition, please send the original application as well as all other required documents (see below) to the following adress: 

    Heidelberg University
    Student Administration 
    Seminarstr. 2 
    69117 Heidelberg

Please also have the following documents ready to upload as a PDF file for your enrolment:

  • University entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur, Baccalauréat, Attestat, Bachiller, High School Diploma etc. and, if applicable, additional certificates of passed university entrance examinations, assessment tests, ...) in officially certified form and, if applicable, with an officially certified translation.
    Please refer to the information on educational certificates below 
  • Evidence of knowledge of the German language, provided that it was not submitted already with the application. 
    Please educate yourself about the language requirements for your desired degree programme on the website, under language requirements for international students. 
  • 1 Passport photo  
  • Personal ID/passport
  • For sports: Proof of having passed the Sport Entrance Examination of the State of Baden-Württemberg or a certificate from Heidelberg University confirming its acceptance
  • Copies of all examination prerequisites achieved (transcripts of records) per semester or year of study. An officially certified translation by a sworn translator in German or English is also required (except for documents in German or English). 
  • All study semesters already completed at a university in Germany and all current study semesters must be documented by certificates of the periods of studies or enrolment (including indication of the department, the academic semesters, and the intended degree). 
  • Certificate from the competent examination office of the previous university, confirming that the entitlement to take the final exams in the desired or a closely related field of study has not been finally withdrawn either for an individual examination nor for a preliminary or intermediate examination or the degree examination. An officially certified translation by a sworn translator in German or English is also required (except for documents in German or English). 
  • When switching from a foreign university to Heidelberg University or for transfer students (also within Germany): Certificate of credit from the examination office of the relevant faculty at Heidelberg University. 
  • For applicants with certificates from Vietnam, the People's Republic of China and India: Original of the APS certificate from the Academic Evaluation Center
  • Any additional documents that may have been specified in the letter of admission /in your heiCO account

If you have previously enrolled at another German higher education institution, you must also submit your application online:

  • Detailed certificate of exmatriculation from the most-recently attended university.
    Detailed exmatriculation certificate means that the enrolment period (start/end of your studies) as well as the degree programme (subject/subject semester/graduation, possibly changes) are proven - should one or more of these details not be included on the exmatriculation certificate, you can provide these in addition to the exmatriculation certificate by means of other corresponding proof from the higher education institution, e.g. course of studies certificate/enrolment certificate, etc.
  • All examination certificates related to previous enrolments
  • Proof of leaves of absence or semesters abroad.
    If there has been a leave of absence, please submit documentation from the university confirming the semester in which the leave of absence was taken (certificate of enrolment, etc.). If there has been a semester spent abroad (semester in which you were only enrolled in a foreign university), please submit documentation confirming the duration (beginning and end) of your study abroad programme.
  • In the case of a change from or after the 3rd subject semester, proof of the subject-related student advisory service

Once you have entered your data and uploaded the required documents to heiCO, please also submit the following documents by post:

  • Printout of the enrolment application with original signature
  • All certificate documents submitted as an upload (e.g. Abitur certificate, any university degree, ...) in officially certified form and, if applicable, with an officially certified translation. 
  • For applicants with certificates from Vietnam, the People's Republic of China and India: Original of the APS certificate from the Academic Evaluation Center
  • Any further documents and certificates mentioned in the letter of admission / in your heiCO account

Please send these to the following address:
Heidelberg University
Student Administration
Seminarstr. 2
69117 Heidelberg

and please note that the documents to be submitted by post for your enrollment must also be received by Heidelberg University by the deadline stated in your letter of admission.

Collecting your student ID card

Once you are enrolled, you will receive an e-mail informing you that you can collect your student ID card from the University Administration Office at the earliest five working days after receiving and activating your Uni-ID, but only in person and on presentation of an official photo ID (e.g. identity card or passport). Please note that the Uni-ID is allocated at the earliest from 1 February for the summer semester and at the earliest from 1 August for the winter semester. 

Notes on the educational certificates 

If your certificate is issued in a name other than your current name, you must provied official proof of your name change. Certificates must always be submitted in the original language of the country of origin and, if necessary, additionally in English or German translation. If certificates in a non-English-speaking country of origin are issued in English in addition to the original language, this English-language version is deemed to be the original language certificate. The same applies to certificate versions in German. Translations must also be certified. Translators are not allowed to certify original-language documents, only the translations they have produced themselves. Only if the original stamp of the translator is on the submitted translation is an additional certification not required. Further information on certifications and translations can be found on the Heidelberg University website. 

Contributions and Fees

Information on the semester fees to be paid as part of enrollment can be found on the homepage under: “Fees for study”.

Information on the additional tuition fees that might be applicable to international students can be found on the homepage: “Tuition fees for International Students”.

You can find the tuition fee applying to you, your personal reason for payment as well as the status of your tuition fees in your heiCO account by clicking on “Semester/tuition fees”.

Visa and residence regulations for international students

Depending on the nationality of international students, they may require an entry visa and a residence permit for study purposes pertaining to the specific degree programme in order to study at Heidelberg University. Further information can be found on the instruction sheet:  Visa/residence permit