German citizensEnrolment in a Higher Semester
Master’s degree programmes
Depending on the application and admission procedure for your desired degree programme, you are required to submit an application to Heidelberg University prior to the application deadline.
In the following, the enrolment procedure for degree programmes and/or subjects with and without admission restrictions in higher academic semesters or for the Master of Education will be presented together. Please find out in advance whether your desired subject is admission-restricted/has a mandatory application procedure beyond the first semester at Heidelberg University.
Enrolment in Master’s degree programmes
Students who are applying to a Master’s degree programme that only has admission restrictions and who meet the requirements for acceptance will receive an admission certificate from the departmental representative for the Student Administration office, which will allow students to use the online registration portal to enrol. Please familiarise yourself with the potential deadlines for applying to your desired subject’s departmental representative for confirmation of fulfilment of admission requirements.
The enrolment application (print copy of the online registration) and the documents listed below must be submitted to the Student Administration office prior to expiration of the enrolment deadline.
If you have applied for an admission-restricted Master’s degree programme, you will always receive a letter of admission or rejection. If you receive a letter of admission, you must enter the data specified in the letter into the online enrolment platform for access-restricted Master’s degree programmes. A printed copy of the online enrolment and hard copies of the documents listed below must be submitted to the Student Administration office prior to the established deadline.
If you have applied for the Master of Education, you will always receive a letter of admission or rejection. If you receive a letter of admission for a degree component of the Master of Education programme you must enter the data specified in the letter to the online enrolment platform for access-restricted Master’s degree programmes. A printed copy of the online enrolment and hard copies of the documents listed below must be submitted to the Student Administration office prior to the established deadline.
PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO COMPLETE THE ENROLMENT PROCESS:
- Make sure that you have all of your documents (see below), e.g. your health insurance number at hand
- Enrol online. Once you have logged in, you will be able to enter your information in each of the required fields. These items do not need to be completed in the order in which they appear.
- Once you have provided all of the information required, a link will appear to allow you to print a copy of your enrolment application.
- Please print out your enrolment application, sign it, and send it, together with all of the required documents, to the Student Administration office.
Documents should be mailed to:
Please note the different enrolment deadlines:
- Access-restricted Master’s degree programmes: The enrolment periods for both the summer and winter semester end at the end (Friday) of the first week of lectures
- Admission-restricted Master’s degree programmes: The registration period is stated in your letter of admission.
- Master of Education: The registration period is stated in your letter of admission.
- University entrance qualification (e.g. German ‘Abitur’) – the officially certified copy from a German public authority. Copies are considered officially certified if they were certified and issued by an official entity (e.g., a public school, does not include private schools!), a municipal, district or city administration, or have been certified by a notary. Certified copies from other entities or international entities cannot be accepted! If your diploma was issued under a name you no longer hold, please also submit a respective official certificate detailing your name change.
- Insurance certificate (specifically issued by the health insurance provider for enrolment purposes) or an exemption notice from a statutory health insurance provider (e.g. in the case of private health insurance). Further information can be found in the instruction sheet on health insurance.
- Copy of your identity card/passport
- The completed and signed SEPA mandate for the tuition fees. Please note that the account holder must be identical to the applying student.
- An officially certified copy of the Bachelor’s degree diploma (or other diploma from an equivalent undergraduate degree programme.) Diplomas from foreign institutions must be submitted as an officially certified copy of the original diploma with an official translation into German or English. Please note that certification by foreign entities cannot be accepted.
Students who have not yet received their final transcript of records by the time of enrolment in the Master’s degree programme may submit a preliminary certificate from the examinations office at their institution. This certificate must state that the degree programme has been completed and indicate the overall grade point average.
The final transcript of records must be submitted during the first semester of enrolment!
- For an admission-restricted Master’s degree programme, the letter of admission.
- For Master’s degree programmes with access restrictions, an admission certificate from the departmental representative of the chosen degree programme, confirming that the student meets all of the prerequisites for admission.
- For the Master of Education: notification of admission for both degree programme components of the Master of Education course and, where applicable, proof of successful completion of any outstanding examination elements stated on the notification of admission and required for enrolment in the Master of Education.
- Detailed certificate of exmatriculation from the most-recently attended university. A detailed certificate of exmatriculation must include confirmation of your enrolment period (beginning/end of the academic programme) and the degree programme (subject/academic semester/degree, potential change of degree programme). Should one or more of these details not be included in your certificate of exmatriculation, you may also submit other supporting documents from your previous university, e.g. certificate of periods of study/certificate of enrolment/academic records, etc.
- Registration Instructions
- Information leaflet Data Protection
- Instruction sheet on health insurance
- Confirmation of completion of the undergraduate degree programme.
- Fulfilment of requirements for consecutive or continuous education Master’s degree programmes without admission restrictions
- Fulfilment of the required M.Ed. components for enrolment
Enrolment or change of degree programme?
If you are currently enrolled at Heidelberg University, it is not necessary to re-register or re-enrol in the Master’s degree programme – but you must officially change your degree programme.
Following confirmation, and prior to the established deadline, please change your degree programme in the Student Administration office and submit your letter or certificate of admission, the completed application for the change of degree programme, documentation of the completed Bachelor's degree programme and, if applicable, any other documents requested in your letter of admission.