TALKS AND EVENTS FOR NEW STUDENTS - Winter Semester 2019/20
In the two weeks prior to the beginning of the lecture period and before the official start of the semester, all new students are invited to participate in a comprehensive and diverse programme of talks and events. Find out more about Heidelberg University, get tips and tricks to help you settle in at the start of semester, and make sure you’ve got everything you need to get to grips with studying!
EVENTS FOR NEW STUDENTS - WINTER SEMESTER 2019/20
WELCOME FROM THE RECTOR OF THE UNIVERSITY
All new students joining Heidelberg University in the Winter semester 2019/20, as well as students who began their studies in the Summer semester 2019, are invited to attend the welcome from the Rector of the University.
14 October 2019, 9 am - 10:30 am
Großer Hörsaal, Hörsaalzentrum Chemie, Im Neuenheimer Feld 252 (large auditorium in the Chemistry lecture centre)
The event will also be shown in the East and West lecture halls.
NEW STUDENT FAIR
Looking to find out more about what the University and Heidelberg has to offer? Are you unsure of the various student initiatives and opportunities which you can get involved in alongside your studies? The new student fair takes place immediately after the President’s welcome. This gives you a chance to find out about the numerous student groups and clubs which exist at the University, and in Heidelberg.
14 October 2019 from 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Mensa, Im Neuenheimer Feld 304
PROGRAMME OF TALKS FOR NEW STUDENTS
All new students are invited to attend a range of talks:
- 3 pm - 4 pm: Welcome to Heidelberg University: Tips and Tricks for New Students
- 4 pm - 5 pm: Studying Effectively as a New Student
- 5 pm - 6 pm Overcoming the Challenges of Studying
- 6 pm - 8 pm The University Library (UB) for Beginners: An Overview of Library Services
2 October 2019
Neue Aula (Great Hall, 2nd floor), New University, Grabengasse 3-5
The talks will also be shown in lecture hall 13 (1st floor).
WEBINARS FOR NEW STUDENTS
Our online webinars are a great way to find out more about beginning your studies at Heidelberg University, particularly if you’ve never been to Heidelberg before! Simply get online and post your questions in the live chat to make sure you’re as prepared as possible for starting your studies.
- Question and Answer Session for New Students: How does the semester ticket for public transport work? How do I take books out on loan? Which university cafeteria has the best coffee? With the help of an academic advisor and a Heidelberg student, we’ll answer all of your questions about getting started in Heidelberg in this live question and answer session.
Friday, 27 September 2019, 11 am - 12 pm and Friday 11 October 2019, 11 am - 12 pm
- Studying Effectively as a New Student In this online talk, one of the University’s academic advisors gives helpful tips and explains psychological strategies to help you keep motivated and structure your learning effectively, so you’ll be able to breeze through your studies.
1 October 2019, 3 pm - 4 pm
- We’ll also have further interesting webinars focussing on topics such as student finance and grants.
ENROLLED - NOW WHAT?
Who can help answer any other questions I have about studying in Heidelberg? What does Heidelberg University have to offer alongside my studies? This hour-long information event provides you with general information about the most important university services (Student Administration, advisory services, libraries, University Computing Centre, Student Services Organisation etc.), student services (wifi access, university email address, student identity card, certificates, re-registration etc.), leisure activities coordinated by the University (university sports, language courses, events organised by the student services organisation etc.), and interest groups.
Event times: 1, 4, 8, 9 or 10 October 2019, at 1 pm - 2 pm
Lecture hall 15 (3rd floor) New University, Grabengasse 3-5.
STORY TIME - STORIES FROM THE UNIVERSITY
What’s studying at university really like? All new students are invited to listen to readings of stories written by Heidelberg students. An evening of funny, happy, sad and unexpected stories from day-to-day life at the University.
7 October 2019, 7 pm - 8:30 pm
Foyer of the New University, Grabengasse 3-5.
INFORMATION EVENT “POLYVALENT BACHELOR’S DEGREE PROGRAMME - BECOMING A TEACHER”
This event provides tips and information about the structure and organisation of the Bachelor’s degree programme for students studying to become a teacher.
10 October 2019, 3 pm - 4 pm
Lecture hall 14 (2nd floor), New University, Grabengasse 3-5
INFORMATION EVENT ON STUDYING WITH A DISABILITY OR CHRONIC CONDITION
The Disability Teams at Heidelberg University and the Heidelberg University of Education invite all students with a disability or a chronic illness to attend this information event. The event will take place on
7 November 2019, 6 pm - 8 pm
Seminar room 3, Seminarzentrum, Bergheimer Str. 58 (building 4311)