Information for doctoral candidates
The Robert and Christine Danizger Scholarship is awarded to very good up-and-coming doctoral students from Africa (primarily from Ghana or another country in West and Central Africa) who are planning a doctorate at Heidelberg University in the fields of Geography (with a focus on Geoinformatics) or Political Science and who need help with funding their doctorate. Learn more about everything you need to consider when applying, on this page.
What does the funding look like?
- The amount of the scholarship for doctoral students is 1,200 € per month.
- The award period is generally 2 semesters. An extension is possible on request and if all requirements are met (academic performance, financial hardship, availability of funds) for a maximum period of 2 semesters.
Good to know: During the support with a Robert and Christine Danziger Scholarship,
- the simultaneous receipt of another scholarship is not possible,
- the tax-free personal allowance may not be exeeded, in the case of income for activities,
- scholarship holders can only accept a max. 25% position for graduate assistants at Heidelberg University if there is no connection to the scholarship in terms of content and time. Please also note the previously mentioned reference to the personal allowance.
Whether the scholarship is tax-free depends on the individual case. Please make sure to contact your tax office for clarification.
Who can apply?
You can apply for a Robert and Christine Danziger Scholarship if
You are a very good up-and-coming doctoral student from Africa (primarily from Ghana or another country in West and Central Africa), you have performed very well in your studies and are planning to apply for a doctorate at Heidelberg University in one of the following fields:
- Geography with a focus on Geoinformatics
- Political Science
- You are planning to move to Germany for a doctorate at Heidelberg University, on site, or you already live in Germany since you are currently attending a language course to acquire the required language skills.
- You need help with funding your doctorate.
Please note: You have to apply separately for a doctorate. Please find more information at the end of this page (Doctoral Candidates).
Which application documents are required?
Please submit the following application documents during the application period:
- Signed application form
- Current preformance records: University diploma that qualifies for a doctorate (original certificate) including the final grade as well as an official translation in German or English and if available, an official conversion of the diploma to the German grading system.
If your university diploma is not available by the end of the application period, it is sufficient to submit a provisional certificate from the university confirming your academic performances, so far (ideally with a grade of all examinations, so far), that states that you expect to complete your course of study by the start of the semester following the application period. Please note that you have to submit your missing certificate by the start of the lecture period.
- Confirmation of acceptance of the doctorate
- Curriculum vitae in table form
- Letter of motivation with reference to the topic of the doctorate
- Recommendation letter from a university instructor in the specific field
- Proof of citizenship
- Self-disclosure of revenue and expenditure (part of the application form)
- Evidence confirming the financial situation (pay slip of the parents, own wage slips etc.)
Please note that you have to submit a valid certificate of enrolment in order to receive scholarship payments.
When and how can I apply?
You can apply for a scholarship from 1 May to 15 July, 2021. Please send your application documents in one single email to email@example.com.
You prefer sending your documents by mail? Then please send them to Heidelberg University | Division for Foundations and Assets | Department 8.2: Donor Relations and Guesthouses | Seminarstr. 2 | 69117 Heidelberg. Please note that the receipt stamp date applies.
Please note: Applications that have not been received within the application period will unfortunately not be considered for selection.