Legal Requirements (Immigration / Visa)

In order to study in Germany international students need a student residence permit.

You have to apply for a student residence permit with the German diplomatic representation in your country of origin before you come to Germany.

Commencing your studies without a student residence permit is not allowed. A tourist visa, business visa, etc. will not suffice!


When applying for a visa, you will have to present your letter of admission or an official document stating that you have applied for admission at Heidelberg University, as well as proof of sufficient funds to pay for your studies and your living expenses in Germany. If you have further questions regarding your visa application, please contact the German diplomatic representation (embassy, consulate) in your country of origin.


EU and EEA nationals do not need a visa and can apply for a certificate of freedom of mobement (Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung") with the local foreigners' registration office.


Citizens of Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Canada, El Salvador, Honduras, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, Switzerland and the USA are allowed to enter Germany without a visa. However, students from these countries planning on staying longer than three months in Germany must apply for a residence permit with the local foreigners’ registration office (“Ausländerbehörde”) upon arrival in Heidelberg. The enrolment is possible before applying for a residence permit for a longer stay.

Applicants who have submitted their application documents to the International Office at Heidelberg University may request to be issued a confirmation of application stating that their application has been received. This document can only be issued

1. if all required application documents have been submitted in due time and form, and

2. if the programme applied for is offered at Heidelberg University.

To request a confirmation of application, please fill in the appropriate form and hand it in at the International Office. The document you will be issued is an official confirmation that your application documents have been received by the university in due time and form; you can use this document when applying for a visa with the German Embassy / Consulate. It is prohibited to enter Germany on a tourist visa when intending to study there. If you need further information, please contact the respective German diplomatic or consular representation.

Editor: e-mail
Latest Revision: 2019-05-13
zum Seitenanfang/up