Prof. Dr. Axel Dreher
Professor of Economics (2011-), Chair of International and Development Politics, Ruprecht-Karls-University Heidelberg, Germany
- Professor of Economics (2008-2011), Chair of Development Economics and International Economics, Georg-August University Goettingen, Germany
- Managing Director (2009-2011), Center for European, Governance and Development Research (cege), Georg-August University Goettingen, Germany
- Assistant Professor in Economics (Oberassistent, 2005-2008), Chair of Applied Economics, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, Department of Management, Technology, and Economics, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- Assistant Professor of Economics (Wissenschaftlicher Assistent, 2004-2005), Department of Economics, University of Konstanz, Germany and Thurgau Institute of Economics, Switzerland
- Lecturer of Economics (2003-2004), University of Exeter, School of Business and Economics, United Kingdom
- Lecturer of Economics (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter, 2000-2003), Department of Economics, University of Mannheim, Germany
- Visiting Professor (2011), University of Rennes 1, Rennes, France
- Consultant (external, 2009-2010), Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ), Frankfurt, Germany
- Visiting Professor (2008), Georg-August-Universität Goettingen, Chair of Development Economics, Goettingen, Germany
- Visiting Researcher (2007), CES, Munich, Germany
- Visiting Researcher (2006), RWI Essen, Essen, Germany, Kiel Institute for World Economics, Kiel, Germany
- Economist (external, 2004-2005), International Monetary Fund, Independent Evaluation Office (IEO), Washington, D.C., USA
- Visiting Professor (2004), Economics Education and Research Consortium, Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Kiev, Ukraine
- Swiss Network for International Studies (SNIS), "The Proliferation of Multilateral Funds," 2012-2014, 265.000 CHF (with Simon Hug, Katharina Michaelowa)
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation), RTG 1723 "Globalization and Development," 2011-2015 (Principal Investigator)
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation), "Foreign Aid of Emerging Donors and International Politics," 2011-2012, 88.000 Euro
2010 Excellence Award of the KfW Development Bank for policy relevant development research, for the paper:
2009 Publication Award of the Friends and Sponsors of RWI, for the paper:The Nexus Between Corruption and Capital Account Restrictions (with Lars-H.R. Siemers), Public Choice 140, 1-2: 245–265 (2009)
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation), “Aid effectiveness from a donor and from a recipient perspective,” 2010-2013, 220.000 Euro (with Stephan Klasen)
- European Commission JLS/2009/ISEC/AG/005, “Indexing Trafficking in Human Beings: Gauging its Trends, Causes and Consequences in the European Dimension,” 2010-2012, 300.000 Euro
- EPRU Research Network, “Education Policy, International Students and Migration Flows: An Economic Analysis,” 2004-2005 (with Panu Poutvaara)
- Ph.D. scholarship, 1999-2000, Gesellschaft der Freunde der Universität Mannheim
- Ph.D. in Economics (Dr. rer. pol., 2003), University of Mannheim, Germany, Advisor: Prof. Dr. Roland Vaubel
- Editorial Board, Defence and Peace Economics, 2014-
- Selection Committee for the IO Distinguished Senior Scholar Award, International Studies Association (ISA), 2013-
- Scientific Committee of the Swiss Network for International Studies (SNIS), 2013-
- Selection Committee for the KfW Award for Policy-relevant Development Research, KfW Development Bank, 2013-
- Selection Committee for the Allocation of Georg Forster Awards and Fellowships, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, 2012-
- Advisory Board, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, 2011-
- Advisory Board, Index of Economic Freedom, The Heritage Foundation, 2007-2008
- Co-Editor, e-conomics, 2007-
- Editor, Review of International Organizations, 2005-
- Research Fellow at CEPR, 2013-
- Full Member, European Development Network (EUDN), 2013-
- Faculty Associate, AidData, 2012-
- Affiliated Professor, Georg-August University Goettingen, 2011-
- Member of the Research Committee on Economic Policy, German Economic Association, 2011-
- Member of the Centre for Modern Indian Studies (CeMIS), Georg-August University Goettingen, 2010-2011
- Research Fellow at CESifo, 2009-
- Research Fellow at IZA, 2009-
- Member of the Research Committee on Development Economics, German Economic Association, 2009-
- Managing Director, Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research (cege), Georg-August University Goettingen, 2009-2011
- Principal Investigator, Courant Research Center "Poverty, Equity and Growth in Developing Countries," Georg-August University Goettingen, 2009-
- Affiliated Professor at the KOF Swiss Economic Institute, 2008-
- Research Affiliate at CESifo, 2007-2009
- Political Economy of International Organizations VII (with Christina Davis, Katharina Michaelowa, Helen Milner), Princeton University, USA (2014)
- Political Economy of International Organizations VI (with Daniel Finke, Thomas König, Katharina Michaelowa, Stefanie Walter), Universities of Mannheim and Heidelberg, Germany (2013)
- Measuring Globalization: an international workshop (with Pim Martens, Philippe De Lombaerde), Maastricht, Netherlands (2012)
- Human Trafficking, International Crime and National Security: A Human Rights Perspective (with Seo-Young Cho, Eric Neumayer), Goettingen, Germany (2012)
- Political Economy of International Organizations V (with Christopher Kilby, Katharina Michaelowa), Villanova University, Philadelphia, PA, USA (2012)
- Political Economy of International Organizations IV (with Thomas Bernauer, Katharina Michaelowa, Helen Milner, Jan-Egbert Sturm), Zurich, Switzerland (2011)
- Egon-Sohmen-Memorial Conference “The Political Economy of International Financial Institutions” (with Peter Bernholz, Roland Vaubel), Tuebingen, Germany (2010)
- Political Economy of International Organizations III (with Carol Lancaster, Katharina Michaelowa, Helen Milner, James Vreeland), Washington, DC, USA (2010)
- Political Economy of International Organizations II (with Richard Baldwin, Simon Hug, Katharina Michaelowa), Geneva, Switzerland (2009)
- Beyond Basic Questions Workshop, Goettingen, Germany, (2008)
- Political Economy of International Organizations I (with Katharina Michaelowa), Monte Verità, Ascona, Switzerland (2008)
- Graduate School in Law & Economics, July 12-16, 2010, University of Hamburg, Germany, Public Choice and International Organizations (summer school)
- Workshop “Strategies for Solving Global Crises – The Financial Crisis and Beyond,” October 16-17, 2009, Goettingen, Germany, Does the IMF Help or Hurt? The Effect of IMF Programs on the Likelihood and Outcome of Currency Crises (keynote)
- Silvaplana Workshop on Political Economy, July 25-29, 2009, Pontresina, Switzerland, Global horse trading and its consequences (after dinner paper)
- The Shadow Economy, Tax Evasion and Social Norms, University of Muenster, July 23-26, 2009, Muenster, Germany, Institutions, Corruption, and the size of the Shadow Economy (keynote)
- ECSR and TransEurope Joint Summer School, Globalization, social inequality and the life course: comparative methodological approaches, August 27-31, 2007, Groningen, The Netherlands, Measuring Globalization (summer school)
American Economic Review, Applied Economics, Applied Economics Quarterly, Canadian Journal of Economics, Constitutional Political Economy, Comparative Economic Studies, Eastern Economic Journal, ECB Working Paper Series, Economic Development and Cultural Change, Economic Inquiry, Economic Journal, Economica, Economics Bulletin, Economics of Education Review, Economics of Governance, Economics & Politics, Economics of Transition, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Empirical Economics, European Economic Review, Energy Economics, European Journal of Comparative Economics, European Journal of Political Economy, Finanzarchiv, Fiscal Studies, Globalizations, International Finance, International Review of Law and Economics, International Tax and Public Finance, Journal of Applied Econometrics, Journal of Common Market Studies, Journal of Comparative Economics, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of Development Studies, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Journal of Economic Growth, Journal of Economic Literature, Journal of Economic Surveys, Journal of Financial Stability, Journal of Globalization Studies, Journal of Health Economics, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, Journal of International Economics, Journal of Law, Economics & Organization, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Journal of Official Statistics, Journal of Political Economy, Journal of Population Economics, Journal of Public Economics, Journal of the European Economic Association, Open Economies Review, Oxford Economic Papers, Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Public Choice, Review of Development Economics, Review of Income and Wealth, Review of International Economics, Review of World Economics, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Southern Economic Journal, World Bank Economic Review, World Development, World Economy
Political Science Journals
American Journal of Political Science, American Political Science Review, Comparative Political Studies, European Journal of Political Research, European Union Politics, International Organization, International Studies Quarterly, Journal of Cold War Studies, Journal of Conflict Resolution, Journal of Peace Research, Journal of International Relations and Development, Journal of Politics, Open Political Science Journal, Review of International Political Economy, World Politics
European Sociological Review, International Sociology, Sociological Quarterly
Palgrave Macmillan, Routledge, Springer
Research Councils and Sponsorship Organizations
Baden-Württemberg-Stiftung, Czech Science Foundation, German-Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development, German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes), German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft), Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences, Leibniz Association (Leibniz Gemeinschaft), National Research Council (CNCS) Romania, National Research Foundation (NRF) South Africa, National Science Centre Poland, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
- Shu Yu, Leaders, Regimes, and Political Stability (University of Groningen, 2014), Member of Thesis Committee.
- Ingvild Nordtveit, Capital flows to developing countries: Essays on the behavior of aid donors and official creditors (University of Bergen, 2014), Second Supervisor.
- Johannes Rieckmann, Battle and Beating, Water and Waste. Micro-Level Impact Evaluation in Developing and Emerging Economies (Georg-August University Goettingen, 2014), Second Supervisor.
- Philipp Mohl, Empirical evidence on the macroeconomic effects of EU cohesion policy (Heidelberg University, 2013), Second Supervisor.
- Maya Schmaljohann, The Political Economy of International Financial Flows to Developing Countries (Heidelberg University, 2013), First Supervisor.
- Dominik Noe, Micro-Level Impacts of Conflict and the Duration of Armed Groups (Georg-August University Goettingen, 2013), Second Supervisor.
- Nicolás Corona Juárez, Essays on the Economics of Crime in Mexico (Heidelberg University, 2013), First Supervisor.
- Hannes Öhler, Essays on the Allocation, Effectiveness and Coordination of Development Aid (Heidelberg University, 2013), First Supervisor.
- Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, Essays in Political Economy (Heidelberg University, 2012), First Supervisor.
- I. Kadek Dian Sutrisna Artha, Financial Crises: Impact on Central Bank Independence, Output, and Inflation (University of Groningen, 2012), Member of Thesis Committee.
- Nils Klann, Risk, Conflict and Challenges in the Context of Emerging Economies (Georg-August University Goettingen, 2012), Second Supervisor.
- Andreas Fuchs, Political Determinants of Foreign Aid and International Trade of Emerging Economies (Georg-August University Goettingen, 2012), First Supervisor.
- Philipp Kolo, New Approaches to the Dynamics, Measurement and Economic Implications of Ethnic Diversity (Georg-August University Goettingen, 2012), Second Supervisor.
- Heiner Mikosch, Rigidities, Institutions and the Macroeconomy (ETH Zurich, 2011), Second Supervisor.
- Seo-Young Cho, The Economics of Human Rights - Gender, Human Trafficking, and Policy (Georg-August University Goettingen, 2011), First Supervisor.
- Jan Priebe, Drivers of Poverty, Mortality and Labor Supply in Developing Countries (Georg-August University Goettingen, 2011), Second Supervisor.
- Julien Reynaud, A critical analysis of the International Monetary Fund’s governance and actions (University Paris I – Pantheon Sorbonne, 2007), Second Supervisor.