University fees

All students must pay a standard fee of 143 Euro to the student union for common facilities, administration and Studentenrat. There is no difference in fees between German, EU, and non-EU students.

As of Winter semester 2017/18,  tuition fees, 1500 Euro / semester,  for both Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes at higher education institutions in Baden-Württemberg are introduced for international students from non-EU/EEA countries. More detailed information regarding tuition fee regulations will be availableby our International office.

Cost of living

It is possible to live in Heidelberg for about 700 Euros per month.

Proof of finance

For international students.


A limited amount of special accommodation is available for non-German students. It is important to apply immediately after final acceptance.

See "How to find Accomodation in Heidelberg?" for more information.

Our "Studentenwerk" offers a specific accomadation/assurance package - called Service package - See here for more details


We offer a limited amount of fellowships to outstanding students (for Major Cancer Biology applicants only). Please see

  • HIGS MSc Fellowship offered by The Helmholtz International Graduate School for Cancer Research

for more information.


Students who need financial support can apply to relevant agencies, such as the Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst. Follow this link for more information.

Students assistent

Students are allowed to work as an scientific assistent with a max 89 h/month. Many students have a job (10-20 h/month). We have no central job agency, mainly the offers are posted in the institute.

Visa formalities

If you need a student visa it is imperative to apply as soon as possible after acceptance. It is NOT possible to enter Germany as a tourist then transfer to student status.


webmaster: E-Mail
last change: 23.06.2017
zum Seitenanfang/up